Second passenger dies after tour bus crash

The Canadian Press

PRESCOTT, Ont.–Provincial police say a second Chinese tourist among 24 people injured in a bus crash in eastern Ontario earlier this week has died.
Officers identified the woman as 57-year-old Xueying Ye of Shanghai.
Police initially said in a news release that Ye was a man but later said she was, in fact, a woman.
A tour bus carrying 37 people, including the driver, a guide, and 35 Chinese tourists crashed into a rock formation by the side of Highway 401 on Monday afternoon near Prescott, Ont.
The OPP said Tuesday that a 54-year-old Chinese man had died of injuries suffered during the crash.
Officers identified him today as Changlin Xu of Jiansu, China.
OPP Cst. Suzanne Runciman said three passengers still are in hospital in critical condition.
She said the cause of the crash is still unknown and that an investigation is ongoing.
“Those types of crashes take a long time to investigate,” Runciman said, adding it could be months before the findings of the investigations are made public.
Officials at the Chinese embassy in Canada have “made clear that the travel agency involved should shoulder its responsibility and properly take care of such matters as medical treatment and compensation for the Chinese tourists,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said at a press conference Tuesday.
“The Foreign Ministry and our diplomatic missions in Canada will continue to follow the development of the accident and work with relevant departments to make proper follow-up arrangements,” Chunying added.
A manager at the Massachusetts-based Union Tour Express company said Monday he was aware one of its buses was involved in the collision, but could not provide any further information about the incident.
The bus company could not immediately be reached this morning.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail