Rain, rain please go away

I am still waiting for our “warmer and drier than normal” summer to arrive!
We are only five days into July and we already received 91 mm (3.63 inches) of rain at the agricultural research station in Emo, including 67 mm (2.68 inches) from the latest thunderstorm on Saturday night.
We should have got together and canoed around our plots for the long weekend.
I hope I can get our forages cut before the open house on July 28, but we have a lot of work to do before that.
Normally we are somewhat caught up by now and I can sneak away early to hay at home. Alas, both of these things are a long way off!
• • •
Last week we finally got a chance to start planting our Miscanthus plugs (a grass plant).
It took us a while to get the trial lined up and organized. We then found out quickly how slow it was going to be and how difficult it was to plant with a shovel and still be line up properly.
With all kinds of running around (and help from Tompkins Hardware and Nussbaumer’s Machine Shop), we finally came up with a system! We are using a big drill bit, drill, and generator and drilling holes into the plots, sticking in the plugs and packing them tightly.
We have 19 boxes (with 125 plants per box) to plant. Fortunately, we finished four-and-a-half the other day.
Be sure to watch for our drilling operation when you drive by–if and when it dries up!
• • •
For everyone who has been wondering: the sheep arrived! We are proud owners of a pair of two-month-old Suffolk sheep (these are the ones with black faces).
Maddie and Marlee rushed out to pick out their sheep. The biggest ewe belongs to Maddie (her name is “Daisee”) while the smaller one belongs to Marlee (her name is “Clover”).
We have been practising walking them and letting them enjoy the bountiful amounts of clover, although I haven’t been brave enough to leave them in their fancy new pen for the day.
They have a nice little pen in the barn and we take them out every night.
To be honest, we’re not sure who is more excited–the girls or my mom. My mom loves sheep and is pretty excited to have them again.
We had pet sheep growing up, as well, and they were spoiled rotten. “Molly” used to like to get in and jump on the bed when we were getting ready for school!
Not sure that “Daisee” and “Clover” will be allowed to do this.
• • •
My bulls are now pulled again. We gathered them out of the pastures on July 1.
The new little Hereford bull thought he might try tackling the much older, larger, and nastier Red Angus bull. But that didn’t last long when the Red Angus bull gave him one swing with his big neck and darn near threw him through the nicely-fixed fence!
That seemed to settle things down.
• • •
My vet cousin, her husband, Dave, and three-month-old Callen came for a visit over the weekend. You sure notice the changes in this little guy when you don’t see him every day.
They came for a tour at the research station, but we were limited on where we could go with the stroller since it didn’t have flotation wheels on it.
Dave is from a dairy farm near Steinbach and they have been able to chop all their first cut except one field. They are wet out there, as well, but it helps when you are not trying to make dry hay anyway.
I’m sure hoping I will be able to make some hay this week. If not, I’m gonna start getting crabby (ugh)!

Posted in Uncategorized