Patiently waiting for ‘dry’ summer to arrive

Another week of rainy day jobs; we are patiently waiting for the “drier than normal” summer to begin!
We’ve only been in our plots four days this month–and it shows. I usually take a great deal of pride in displaying the station to the best of my ability and this year it hasn’t been easy at all.
Even though a neat and tidy station doesn’t always mean great research data, I like it when you drive by and notice that things are in order.
The sunflower plots usually are a huge attraction, but they didn’t germinate so we might be without their friendly faces this year.
(I might re-plant, but not before I get other more important jobs completed).
I honestly can say this is the latest we have been at the station.
• • •
Friday’s high winds certainly caused a lot of havoc. Trees were down everywhere, the power went out, etc.
Ontario Hydro was busy fixing power lines while MNR fire crews were putting out fires that had started where trees had fallen on the lines (I was amazed that anything would burn!)
I had trees on my fence and in the cedar swamp behind my barn, I had a whole island of healthy cedar trees uprooted by the wind. There were eight large trees lifted up.
I asked my boyfriend/partner if we could “fix” them and we got stuck with the four-wheeler trying to check it out.
I am thinking the answer is “no!”
• • •
After all my complaining, I now realize we have a lot to be thankful for as Mother Nature is playing even greater havoc with our neighbours to the west.
Camille Heyens and Ross Stafford (both Rainy River District natives) are living and ranching with their families in Alberta—and they have suffered so much this spring already.
Camille’s ranch lost close to 100 calves from wet snow, and now both families have been evacuated from their homes due to the flooding.
Camille’s husband, Craig, was able to drive them to safety (they have year-old twin boys) by cutting fences to get them up into the hills. They also opened gates and allowed cattle to head for the hills.
They’re certain they lost a young foal as the waters rushed through their homestead.
Ross, meanwhile, had friends helping them pack things to move them out. One friend was swept off a bridge. Fortunately, he was able to cling to a tree while the truck and belongings floated off.
He luckily was rescued by a helicopter.
I realize “stuff” can be replaced and families cannot, but I’m truly feeling sorry for this people and I wish them better days.
I don’t think they’ve even been allowed back home to assess the damage—and the weatherman is predicting still more rain for them.
All this in areas that normally are drought-stricken.
• • •
I was home for the first weekend since April 17 (I’ve been home, but had stuff planned or parties going on, etc.)
It was a nice break–even though it is too wet to make hay, etc. I did a few jobs that have been put off.
I finally was able to seed my heat pump area—by hand (just like the good ol’ days).
The kill-deer was nesting there, so when my “almost step-son” was dragging it, we had to mark the nest so he didn’t hit it.
I’m also pleased that my bluebird that has been nesting in my yard for a few years now decided to trust the bird house and she is busy feeding baby bluebirds!
My phoebe, meanwhile, has built a new nest in the goose-neck of the trailer and already has hatched a new bunch of eggs.
I was sitting on my front deck (for the first time this year) smelling the sweet smell of clover. The deer started to gather in the field to the side of my house but all of a sudden “Kloee” (we were dog-sitting) started to growl.
The deer are not use to this and took off!
They slowly made their way back out Sunday night but no growls as “Karma” is quiet and “Kloee” was back at home!

Posted in Uncategorized