Thunder earn win, tie against Hawks

The third period was the Borderland Thunder’s best friend over the weekend as they rallied not once but twice to take a 4-2 win and a 4-4 draw against the visiting second-place Feathermen Hawks (Thunder Bay).
Butit wasn’t enough to move the Thunder (11-7-7) out of third place in the Superior International Junior Hockey League standings. They’re still two points behind the Hawks (14-8-3) and four back of the Dryden Ice Dogs (14-7-5).
Thunder centre Matt Johnson scored the game-tying goal unassisted with just 32second to play Saturday nght, stealing the puck along the boards and sliding it under goalie Daniel Beardy while falling into the net.
Thunder goalie Rob Hrabec made a game-saving stop on a three-on-one rush at the seven-minute mark when the Hawks were up 4-3 and pressing to score the insurance goal.
“They kept fighting back, we kept fighting back. The boys showed a lot of character,” said Thunder head coach Wayne Strachan.
Naaman Cooper opened the scoring for the Hawks in the first but Kevin Webb tied it in the second with a sharp right side shot. Ian Lockman then popped in a loose puck for his sixth of the season at 9:46.
But league’s top scorer, Brent Greene, scored twice to put the Hawks up 3-2.
Kyle Prystupa and Ryan Ruth traded goals in the third on similar plays—clear giveaways around the net.
On Friday, Johnson was again a culprit for the Hawks, scoring two goals in the third period to rally from a 2-1 deficit—the first on a penalty shot and the second off a scramble.
Jay Phillips added an empty-netter. Prystupa scored the team’s first goal.
Hawks head coach Todd Howarth wasn’t exactly thrilled about how some plays were called down the stretch.
“[On Friday], that penalty shot call was horrible. On their third goal, they pushed our goalie into the net,” he said. “The officiating shouldn’t win or lose games for you.”
The Thunder’s next action is two home games this Friday and Saturday against the Thunder Bay Wolves.
In other SIJHL weekend action, the Ice Dogs laid a 14-4 beating on the Thunder Bay KC Bulldogs, who in turn dumped the Wolves 11-4 and 6-1.