Taggs win fourth tourney title


The local Taggs Source for Sports Bantam ‘AA’ hockey team won its fourth tournament in five tries over the weekend in Sault Ste. Marie.
The squad went undefeated in six games to capture the Steelcity International Tournament championship against a competitive field of nine other teams from Sudbury, North Bay, and Thunder Bay, along with local teams from both Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. and Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
Taggs opened pool play with a 5-4 victory over the Cooper Dental Lakers from the Soo, Mich.
Colton Spicer led the way with a pair of goals while Dylan Grinsell, Nick Jourdain, and Jordan Larson added singles.
Their second game was a spirited, penalty-filled 6-2 win over the Sault Ste. Marie BlackHawks.
Tarran Romyn and Grinsell each had a pair of goals in that one, with Larson adding a goal and three assists.
Jacob Hawley netted the other goal.
Taggs then trounced the Thunder Bay Beavers 10-0 in their third game. Larson and Hawley led the attack with two goals and three assists each.
Not to be outdone, Spicer had two goals and two assists of his own, with single markers supplied by Nick Kaun, Jeff Davis, and Judd Gardiman.
Scott Parsons earned the shutout between the pipes.
Taggs completed pool play with a 3-1 win over the Sault Stitch King Selects, a plucky affiliate team whose goalie stoned the Taggs’ shooters all game long.
But Brennan Carroll was equally solid in goal for Taggs while Larson tallied twice and Cole Godbout netted the other.
Defenceman John Carlson notched two assists.
Taggs opened the medal round with a semi-final showdown against the Thunder Bay Maroons and once again Fort Frances blanked their Lakehead opponents, this time by a 4-0 score.
Jourdain tallied first, then Larson supplied the natural hat trick to round out the scoring.
Parsons kept the Maroons off the scoresheet with a solid performance in net.
The championship game saw Taggs square off against the Partners in Law Spitfires (North Bay).
Taggs got off to a good start with first-period goals by Grinsell and Spicer to lead 2-0. Then second-period goals from Larson and Davis balanced out two from the Spitfires as Taggs took a 4-2 lead to the final intermission.
Grinsell tallied early in the final frame and the game seemed well in hand. But the Spitfires did not go down without a fight, closing the gap to 5-4 late in the period.
But with the Spitfires’ goalie pulled, Jourdain cleverly chipped the puck by a pressing defender, carried it down ice, and feathered a neat pass to Davis, who iced the tourney title with an empty-netter.
Parsons earned the most outstanding goalie award for the tournament.
Taggs next will compete at a tourney this weekend in Kenora.