Taggs avenge loss

It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t graceful, and it certainly wasn’t routine, but Taggs took what they had and netted a 2-1 victory against Curves yesterday evening in women’s Borderland Soccer Association action.
Taggs had a some extra motivation going into the game after being trounced by Curves 7-2 the previous night before—and were looking for a little payback.
“We came back a little hungrier from last night [Tuesday] and we came in more prepared,” said Rebecca Cornell of Taggs, who is the team’s biggest offensive threat this season.
Even though she wasn’t feeling well before the match with a sore stomach, Cornell scored 15 minutes into the first half on a beautifully-orchestrated goal.
Starting 30 yards out, Cornell dribbled by one Curves’ defender and then decided to do it to another, leaving them both frozen and feeling more like spectators as they watched her casually shoot the ball to the left side of keeper Tracy Petsnick.
It took only 10 minutes for Taggs to score again as Beulah Perrault flicked a lob shot from 15 yards out that barely squeaked under the crossbar.
“We didn’t take them for granted, but we were missing a few key players and that made a big difference,” said Mandy Wilson of Curves.
Curves also saw their centre midfielder, Hillary Morgan, go down early in the first half with a strained knee after a collision. She was greatly missed by her teammates as she was having an excellent game controlling the middle part of the field.
“Losing your centre middle will obviously hurt you and we probably would’ve played better if she were in the game, but that’s the way it goes,” reasoned Wilson.
“They were missing a few key players and that made a big difference in the game,” noted Cornell.
Curves did manage to draw within a goal shortly before half-time when Noreen Hartlin took advantage of a breakdown in Taggs’ defensive zone and scored on a 15-yard roller that found the right side of the net.
Curves, during the break, huddled around each other away from the ear of their opposition, and went over what changes they had to make to get back in the game.
They came out firing with an array of shots coming from all parts of the field but Curves’ keeper Sabrina Stoessinger put the mistake she had made in the first half out of her mind and stood strong.
“We were getting a little testy with the ball I guess, but it happens,” said Wilson, who had most of Curves’ scoring chances. “Sometimes I just can’t find the net but I think we played well.”
It was Taggs, though, that had the best scoring chance of the half as a hand ball by Deirdre O’Sullivan in the penalty area resulted in a penalty kick.
The kick was taken by Jolene Veldhuisen, who played solidly all game down the left side, but she was unable to beat Kari-Lynn Beckett, who took over the keeping duties for the second half, as she read the shot beautifully and made the stop.
Time ran out on Curves—and their hopes of a comeback—as the whistle blew to end the shortened game (only 35-minute halves were played instead of the usual 45 minutes).
And Taggs strolled off the field with smiles sewn on their faces after dishing out a little payback.