Sunset stuns Arctic Cat


There were two really good and close games that showed both skill and teamwork in Fort Frances Men’s Basketball League action Tuesday night at Fort High.
And that’s what makes men’s league fun as the guys played hard with good attitudes.
The first game of the night saw Sunset Landscaping squaring off against Arctic Cat.
With only four players on the court for Arctic Cat (5-6) and five on the floor plus two subs available for Sunset, things started off in surprising fashion as Arctic Cat came out flying and built an early 21-10 lead.
Justin Anderson (23 points) and Joey Theriault (season-high 20 points) led the team in green all night, helping them to commanding 34-23 lead at halftime.
The second half was a different story, though, as Cody Johnson really heated up and fired home three-straight three-pointers to put Sunset (5-5-1) ahead at 40-39.
Johnson continued to run the floor well and ended up the half with 19 points, which also was his total for the game, in leading Sunset to a comeback 60-57 win.
All seven of Sunset’s players got on the scoresheet.
The second game of the night saw a battle between the Revco Renegades and BDO Ballerz.
For the second time in three weeks, Revco couldn’t come up with four players and took the forfeit, but they picked up three others and the game still started.
Jumping out to an early 12-4 lead on the strength of Justin Anderson’s shooting and Jeremy Strain’s inside work, it looked like the Renegades would run away with the game.
But BDO (5-5-1) had other plans. With Todd Richards getting hot and putting up 12 points in the half, it was the Ballerz who went into the break with a 23-17 lead.
Revco (4-7) began to find holes in BDO’s defence in the second half.
Anderson and Strain continued to put up the points, and along with Revco’s leader of the over-40 segment of the team, Conrad Dueck (who contributed seven points), the Renegades pulled out a comeback 52-47 win.
BDO still was all smiles, however, as they currently are riding a three-game win streak.
The final game of the night had the Muskies taking on the RBC Lions.
Both teams didn’t field enough players but despite the double-forfeit, half of a game was played.
The game ended on a bit of an unfortunate note, however, as Michael Vanderaa injured his ankle and had to be helped off.
With the NorWOSSA playoffs slated for tomorrow in Kenora for the black-and-gold, the league is hopeful he heals up quick and can play in the final.
Next week’s action will see the Muskies squaring off in the early game against the Ballerz at 6:40 p.m.
RBC then will look to get back into the win column against Arctic Cat at 7:30 p.m., with the Renegades to battle Sunset at 8:30.