Stratton rallies to beat Sight & Sound

Things looked good for Sight & Sound heading into the sixth inning at VanJura Stadium here last night as the two-time defending Rainy River District Fastball League champs led Stratton 6-2.
But the wheels fell off.
Stratton erupted with six runs in the sixth, then added nine more in the seventh to cement a 17-7 win that improved their record to 3-1 while Sight and Sound fell to 1-2.
Stratton opened up a 2-0 lead in the top of the first when Ted Heyens and Travis Vandenbrand scored, but Sight & Sound turned the game around with a six-run second inning.
Don Larson, who was called that day to replace usual starting pitcher Harvey Flamand, who had to work, singled to start the inning. Derek McKinnon then singled to advance Larson.
After both runners advanced on Dale Jerry’s groundout, Grant Swire plated both with a single.
After Marcel Pagee singled to put Swire on third, lead-off hitter Ed Vold stepped into the batter’s box and cranked a line drive over the fence in right-centre to make the score 5-2.
“Beeker” Watson added a solo shot before the inning ended.
In the fifth inning, with the score still 6-2, Sight & Sound decided to use the five extra players they had, who all had minimal playing experience.
“We had a few young guys that hadn’t swung a bat yet this year and we just wanted to give them some experience for later down the line,” said Pagee.
But that lack of experience showed, as did Larson’s long absence from the pitching mound. “We decided to dust off ‘Duck’s’ arm and brought him out,” Pagee had said.
“It’s just fun to get out,” Larson, who coaches the local Kiwanis Little League baseball team, said of his return to the pitching rubber.
“They phoned tonight. I mean I haven’t pitched in two years,” he noted. “I was just filling in for Harvey and the arm just caught up to me after a while.
“We played good ball as a team in general,” said Guy Arpin of Stratton. “Curtis [Berg] pitched a heck of a game and it was a lot of fun.
“We never have a give-up attitude no matter what the score is,” he added. “We’re here to have fun and when the game is over, it doesn’t matter what the score is.”
“I think what happened was we didn’t watch what we were doing and just threw the lineup together,” said Vold.
“We usually don’t have that many spares,” he noted. “You’ve got your usual starting lineup in there, because that’s what we usually go with, because we usually don’t have any spares.
“And that’s a chance you take.”
Unfortunately for Sight & Sound, that chance didn’t pay off this time.