Sight & Sound upsets Royals

Fort Frances-based Sight & Sound spoiled a perfect season for the Rainy River Legion Royals last night when they handed them their first loss of the 2005 campaign.
By virtue of their 8-3 win, Sight & Sound remained unbeaten in the double-knockout playoffs and now will host Big Grassy on Tuesday (Aug. 23). Game time is 8 p.m. under the lights at VanJura Stadium.
Rainy River, meanwhile, must beat visiting Stratton on Tuesday in order to remain in playoff contention.
Sight & Sound jumped out to an early lead last night in Rainy River when the first three batters scored. Ed Vold hit a lead-off single and then advanced to second when Grant Swire followed with a perfect bunt for a single.
Andrew Watts then doubled to score Vold before Duane Carlson hit a sacrifice fly to plate Swire.
Pitcher Harvey Flamand, who earned the win, helped his own cause when he brought in Watts on a sacrifice.
In the bottom of the inning, the Royals looked like they were going to strike back just as hard.
After Matt Ashworth struck out, Wes Blight singled and then Don Gall doubled to score Blight. However, Flamand fanned the next two batters to strand Gall.
Both teams then tightened up their defence and pitched phenomenally for the next three innings. The score remained 3-1 until the top of the fifth, when Vold scored on Watts’ sacrifice fly.
Rainy River also cranked up their offence in the fifth. After Dan Usiski Jr. struck out, Ashworth singled and then scored one out later on a double by Gall.
Flamand then walked both Jim Chorney and Murray Armstrong to load the bases, but he got Nick Ashworth to fly out to rightfield and hold Rainy River to just one run.
Sight & Sound made it 6-2 with a pair of runs in the sixth when Marcel Pagee’s double scored Derek McKinnon and Dale Jerry.
In the bottom of the inning, Matt Bartlett was hit by a pitch and later scored Rainy River’s final run of the game.
Sight & Sound then added two insurance runs in the top of the seventh to secure the 8-3 victory.
In other RRDFL playoff action last night, Stratton stayed alive by beating Big Island 5-3. Curtis Berg was the winning pitcher while “Chops” Handorgan took the loss.
And Big Grassy eliminated Barwick with a 5-3 win as Jeff Morrison out-duelled George Oltsher.