Sabres win two of three over weekend

The Fort Frances Junior Sabres garnered four of a possible six points over the weekend as they went skate to skate with the Fort William North Stars Friday and Saturday nights, and the Schreiber Diesel yesterday afternoon.
With the victories, the Sabres reached 42 points on the season, and opened up a five-point cushion on the Diesel in the battle for fourth-place and home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
In action yesterday afternoon, the Sabres looked to take advantage of a struggling Schreiber Diesel squad that had dropped three straight games and been outscored 18-6 in that span. In a penalty-filled affair, the Sabres struck first as Brendan Baumgartner scored on the power play with just one minute remaining in the first period. Assists went to Ainsworth and Tomassetti.
In the second period Amiel with his 34th of the year short handed, and Tomassetti with his 12th, sandwiched around a goal by Diesel Colin Wise, gave the Sabres a 3-1 lead going into the third. Mike Ainsworth put the Sabres up 4-1 with another power play marker set up by Amiel and Parisien at 2:34 of the third, but Jared Saunders on the power play cut the lead to 4-2 with 12 minutes remaining in the game.
Veteran center Steve Sus closed out the scoring with his eighth Sabre goal of the season into an empty net to make the final score 5-2.
On Saturday night, the Sabres looked for the sweep, but didn’t get it, falling 2-0 to the North Stars. The home side pummelled Faragher with 45 shots, with Travis Jaspers in the first period and Trevor Gamanche in the second frame providing the games only scoring. Only seven minor penalties were handed out on the night, with the two sides concentrating on offence, and producing 65 shots on goal.
And on Friday night the Sabres needed overtime to knock off the North Stars 2-1. The Stars took a 1-0 advantage courtesy of Oliver Morin’s goal into the second period, but Sabre Mike Ainsworth evened the score at the 11:25 mark of the second frame, assisted by defenceman Mario Boivin.
The game remained tied through three periods, until Sabre captain Quinn Amiel popped his 33rd goal of the year from Mike Pariesien and Alessio Tomassetti 3:46 into overtime to lift the Sabres to a 2-1 win.
Goaltender Ryan Faragher had an excellent outing for the Sabres stopping 40 of 41 shots to preserve the win.
Due to the demise of the Marathon franchise last week, the Sabres will not welcome the Renegades to town this weekend for a Friday-Saturday series.
In related news, league president Ron Whitehead confirmed to the Thunder Bay Chronicle-Journal that the revised playoff format would see the top two teams earning byes, with the third through sixth place clubs playing off in a pair of five-game quarter-final series.