Muskies win season-opener

The Muskie football team got its Winnipeg High School Football League season off to a good start here Friday afternoon with a dominating 24-0 win over the Kildonan East Eagles.
The black-and-gold ran the ball effectively with Terry Carmody while the defence kept the Eagles off balance with their aggressive play en route to the shutout.
Muskie head coach Bob Swing said after the game that while earning the shutout was a nice bonus, he simply was happy to have the win.
“At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how many you win by or how many you lose by, you’re being measured in wins and losses,” he remarked.
Swing believes there is reason for great optimism this season based on the performance of his players in all three aspects of the game against East Kildonan.
“We’ve got guys hustling around the ball, special teams had no breakdowns, and on top of that we were able to run the ball,” he noted.
“These three things greatly encouraged me.”
Carmody led the offensive charge, carrying the ball 26 times for 183 yards and two touchdowns in just three quarters of play.
With the game firmly in hand at the start of the fourth quarter, the Muskie coaching staff decided to rest their star running back and give back-up Tyler Brusven some valuable game experience.
And Brusven picked right up where Carmody left off, moving the chains and protecting the ball as the Muskies ran out the clock.
While the Muskies focused primarily on the ground attack, quarterback Blake Wepruk was efficient passing the ball on the rare occasion they decided to air it out.
The Muskies’ pivot finished five for eight in pass attempts for 42 yards, a touchdown, and an interception.
Wepruk’s numbers may not have stood out on paper but he had what may well have been the most important play of the game on offence—scrambling 20 yards on a long third down situation.
Leading 3-0 at the time, Wepruk’s scrambling ability bought a new set of downs and Carmody eventually capped the drive to extend the lead to 10-0.
Brian Glavish then caught a touchdown from Wepruk early in the third quarter to seal the victory.
Josh Stevens led the Muskies on defence, recording three tackles, a sack, and recovering a fumble.
The Muskies took the lead on their first possession after the defence had forced an Eagles’ punt.
Carmody carried the ball several times for moderate gains as the black-and-gold marched down the field and into Eagle territory.
The drive eventually would stall on the Eagles’ 25-yard line but kicker Steve Boileau gave the Muskies an early 3-0 lead courtesy a 33-yard field goal.
The Muskies were on the move again midway through the second quarter after another Eagles’ punt.
Once again, it was Carmody who shouldered the bulk of the offensive load, moving the team into Eagle territory and eventually crossing the goal-line for a 10-0 lead just before the halftime siren.
The Eagles kicked off to start the second half hoping to contain the Muskies’ ground attack.
However, the results were eerily similar to those of the opening 30 minutes of play as Carmody broke loose for a 50-yard run—setting up the Wepruk to Glavish touchdown pass.
Boileau’s extra point attempt was blocked, but the Muskies would get it back a few minutes later on a missed field goal attempt when the Eagles’ return man was tackled in the end zone.
Carmody ran for his second touchdown of the day late in the third quarter to extend the lead to 24-0 and seal the victory.
The Muskies will look to extend their winning streak this Thursday afternoon (Sept. 14) when they travel to Sturgeon Creek for a 3 p.m. showdown.