Muskies struggle in Winnipeg

Even though the scores from last weekend’s John Piper Taylor Classic hockey tournament in Winnipeg might indicate otherwise, Muskie head coach Glen Edwards said his team didn’t really play that poorly.
The Muskies struggled in the tournament, finishing last in their four-team pool with an 0-2-1 record, including a pair of lopsided losses Friday. But Edwards stressed the black-and-gold simply paid the price when they made mistakes.
“We seemed to play all right,” he said. “We held the territorial advantage, the team worked hard, but [the other teams] took advantage of our mistakes.
“It seemed like every time we made a mistake, they put the puck in the net,” he added, noting they’ll be addressing those lapses in practice.
Still, while the Muskies may have controlled the play at times, Edwards admitted they have had a tough time maintaining any type of offensive flow–the direct result of some poor passing.
“We’re having trouble hitting each other with passes. It’s going behind the guy or hitting off their sticks and bouncing away,” he remarked.
The Muskies opened play Thursday night with a 2-2 tie against the St. John’s Ravenscourt Eagles, getting the equalizer on Jon Lloyd’s goal with just 15 seconds to play and Muskies goalie Mike Glueheisen on the bench for an extra attacker.
Lloyd, who also picked up an assist on Justin Whalen’s power-play goal in the second period, was named the team’s game MVP.
But the Muskies failed to continue that momentum Friday, suffering a 7-2 loss to Maples Collegiate before dropping a 6-1 decision to Fort Richmond.
The black-and-gold only trailed Maples 2-1 heading into the third period but surrendered five goals in the final frame to make it a blowout.
Chris Kellar scored a first-period goal for the Muskies while Ryan Armstrong, named the game MVP for the team, added one in the third.
Friday night against Fort Richmond, the Muskies gave up three first-period goals and trailed 4-1 after two. Jordan Roy, who scored the lone Muskie goal, was named team MVP for the game.
St. John’s Ravenscourt captured the tournament title with a 3-1 win over River East in the championship final Sunday.