Muskies rout Broncos in Game 1

Jamie Mountain

The Muskie girls’ hockey team cruised to a 14-0 romp over the Kenora Broncos in Game 1 of their best-of-three NorWOSSA semi-final on Tuesday night at the Ice For Kids Arena.
Siobhan Mackintosh lit the lamp four times and added two assists while captain Annalise (C.C.) Hayes netted a hat trick along with a helper to pace the Muskie onslaught.
Jenna Clendenning notched a pair of goals and set up another while Hanna Ledrew also chipped in with two markers.
It also was “Senior Night” for the graduating Muskie players.
Taylor Croswell opened the scoring just 2:02 into the first period.
Before anyone could even blink, Clendenning also connected just five seconds later to give Fort High an early 2-0 lead.
Ledrew then pushed it to 3-0 at 8:46 after jamming her first of the night past Broncos’ goalie Carlee Holmstrom on a wraparound attempt.
Jessica Steele, Mackintosh, and Ledrew then all scored within a two-minute span to make it a six-goal cushion after 20 minutes.
Hayes bulged the twine just 26 seconds into the middle frame to extend it to 7-0.
Mackintosh and Hayes then traded a pair of goals before Clendenning tallied again to make it 12-0 after 40.
Mackintosh fired home her fourth goal of the night at 6:30 of the third before Khali Degagne capped the scoring with just over five minutes to go.
Carly McKinnon earned the shutout win between the pipes while Holmstrom was tagged with the loss for the Broncos.
Game 2 is set for tomorrow in Kenora.
Game 3, if necessary, will be played here on Sunday at 1:15 p.m. at the Ice For Kids Arena.
In boys’ hockey action, Cole Magill scored and added a helper to lead the black-and-gold to a 4-1 victory over the St. Thomas Aquinas Saints (Kenora) in Game 1 of their semi-final last night at “The Duke” (Couchiching Arena).
Jake Barker opened the scoring for the Muskies just 1:28 into the first period when he collected a rebound from a Jace Dittaro shot and put it past Saints’ goalie Mason Vogrig.
Magill then tallied 3:14 into the second frame, but the Saints got one back with 7:05 remaining to trim it to 2-1.
Jon Busch gave Fort High a two-goal cushion when he tallied on a man-advantage just 16 seconds into the third.
Kendyn Faragher then finished off a feed from Magill and beat Vogrig with a shot up high at 4:26 to cap the scoring.
Darian Klem earned the win between the pipes while Vogrig was tagged with the loss.
Game 2 of the semi-final is set for tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Kenora.
Game 3, if necessary, will be played back here but the date, time, and venue is yet to be determined.