Muskies end regular season with win

The Muskie football team wrapped up its regular season with a 21-0 shutout over the Oak Park #2 Raiders on Friday afternoon in Winnipeg.
The black-and-gold played to their strengths, moving the ball well on the ground and controlling the clock.
Tailback Terry Carmody—coming off WHSFL offensive player-of-the-week honours for his performance against Daniel Mac the previous Friday—once again was a dominant force for the black-and-gold, carrying the ball 23 times for 235 yards and three touchdowns.
It was an especially gratifying win for head coach Bob Swing and the rest of the Muskie coaching staff as they perservered through several difficult situations—including the absence of four starters, defensive co-ordinator Lou Gauthier, and some adverse weather conditions.
“The key to the game was that the kids did go out there and we executed what we wanted to do,” Swing said.
“It’s not what we thought we’d do—but what we wanted to do.”
The black-and-gold have a bye this week, with their next action being a quarter-final match-up either next Thursday or Friday in Winnipeg.
The Muskies got off to a strong start against the Raiders on Friday as they drove the ball deep into Oak Park territory on their first two possessions of the game.
They were unable to put any points on the board, however, both times turning the ball over on downs.
But while the Muskies were moving the ball, the Raiders were struggling to find their rhythm against a tough Fort High defence.
Oak Park was forced to punt on their first possession and standout Muskie cornerback Mike Sande intercepted a Raider pass to end their second drive.
Sande made a great return on the interception, getting to the Oak Park 38-yard line before being forced out of bounds.
But the play would prove costly for the black-and-gold as Sande injured his knee when he was tackled and did not return. His status is questionable for the Muskies’ quarter-final showdown next week.
The news got worse for the coaches when Carmody went down with a knee injury after being tackled two plays later.
He missed a couple of series but appeared no worse for wear, breaking off a 68-yard touchdown run to open the scoring upon his return late in the second quarter.
Matt Depiero successfully converted the point-after attempt and the Muskies led 7-0 at halftime.
The Muskie defenders made their presence felt at the start of the third quarter when Jesse Brunetta picked off a Raider pass attempt on Oak Park’s first possession of the second half.
The black-and-gold struggled to move the chains on the ensuing drive and lined up to punt on third down. Instead of punting, however, the Muskies faked and Depiero picked up a crucial first down.
The trick play seemed to re-invigorate the black-and-gold’s offence as they drove the ball down the field—capped by Carmody’s second touchdown of the day on an eight-yard run.
Depiero added the point-after and the Muskies doubled their advantage to 14-0.
The Muskies appeared to add another touchdown later in the quarter when receiver Brian Glavish took a pitch 14-yards for an apparent score. But the play was called back due to a penalty.
The black-and-gold were not to be denied, though, as Carmody ran the ball in from 20 yards two plays later.
There were no flags on the play this time and the Muskies led 21-0 following Depiero’s conversion.
The fourth quarter saw both teams exchange punts and interceptions.
Muskie quarterback Steve Boileau—playing in place of an ill Blake Wepruk—was picked off late in the quarter, giving the Raiders one last chance to get on the scoreboard.
Oak Park could not muster any offence and were forced to punt. But they got it right back when the ball hit a Muskie on the return and was recovered by a Raider.
The Raiders moved the ball on successive plays but any threat of a late score was erased when Depiero picked off an errant pass—the Muskies’ third of the day—to end the game.