Muskies claw their way past Bears

Who says the Muskies can’t beat American teams?
For the second time in five days, the black-and-gold showed they can skate with–and beat–a team from south of the border after edging the Baudette Bears 2-1 there last night.
Ross Anderson, NorWOSSA’s leading scorer, tallied the game-winner midway through the third period, capitalizing on a miscue by Baudette goalie Mark Medwechuk.
Cole Hayward, assisted by Jeff Savage and Kevin Webb, had given the black-and-gold an early 1-0 about 4:40 into the first period. But the Bears tied it up at 5:58 of the second when Brock Anundson beat Muskie goalie Jamie Booth.
Muskie head coach Glen Edwards felt it was a gutsy road win.
“It was a huge win for us and a huge confidence booster for our hockey club heading into Winnipeg,” he said afterwards. “We won the third period and that’s a sign of a good team.
“That’s what I tried to emphasize to them before the third period,” he noted.
“We’ve now split the two games against Baudette, which has a very good hockey team,” he continued. “This year, we felt we had a team that could play against American teams.”
Edwards said last night’s game was “back and forth” but he felt his squad did a much better job in their own end to limit Baudette’s chances.
“We kept them to the outside for most of the game,” he remarked.
It was a sharp contrast to their wide open 9-5 win over the Mesabi East Giants here last Friday night, which snapped a five-game losing streak against American opponents.
The Giants grabbed an early 2-0 lead just 2:39 into the game on goals by Mike LaFrenier and Chad Kangas. But the Muskies battled back with five goals before the first intermission.
Boomer Redford got the black-and-gold going with a goal from the blueline. Tom Rose tallied 1:09 later to tie the game at 2-2, then David Lloyd scored less than two minutes later to put the Muskies up by one.
After Mesabi East tied the game at 3-3, Rose and Lloyd (the latter with two seconds left in the period) netted their second goals of the frame to make it 5-3.
But the Muskies had another slow start to the second period as Troy Scott and Rob Ronning scored in a two-minute span to make it 5-5, which chased Muskie starter Blake Carlson from the net in favour of Jamie Booth.
The change in goalies appeared to give the Muskies new life as they controlled most of the final 12 minutes of the second period to take an 8-5 lead into the third.
Redford added his second of the night while Anderson and Savage scored late in the frame to take control of the game.
Tyler Coyle iced the game with a goal midway through the third.
Meanwhile, Booth was solid between the pipes, stopping all the Mesabi East shots fired his way after taking over from Carlson.
Next action for the Muskies will be a tournament in Winnipeg at the end of January.