Muskie boys stymied by red-hot goalie

Joey Payeur

Big Jake was hotter than a $2 pistol in rejecting every bullet fired his way.
The Muskie boys’ hockey team came out of Day 1 at the OFSAA ‘AA’ championships in Burlington with a 1-1 record after goalie Jake Bly’s superb 44-save effort gave the 15th-seeded Anne & Max Tanenbaum Community Hebrew Academy Tigers (Toronto) a 4-0 victory over fifth-ranked Fort High.
“Their goalie saw everything,” said Muskie head coach Jamie Davis, whose team allowed only 10 shots themselves on what was a rough outing for netminder Jonah Johnson.
“We were not getting bodies in front,” Davis added.
“It was similar to the Kenora [Broncos] game we lost before Christmas.”
The Muskies still were in good shape entering action today—and likely can clinch a berth in tomorrow’s quarter-finals with a pair of wins in Pool ‘G’ today against No. 10 La Salle Black Knights (Kingston) and No. 3 Robert F. Hall Catholic Secondary School Wolfpack (Caledon).
Oliver Strasser put the Tigers up 1-0 at 1:12 of the first period yesterday afternoon before Cooper Hyman netted the lone goal of the second to double the advantage.
The black-and-gold poured it on in the third—outshooting the Tigers by a whopping 17-3 margin—but Bly proved unbeatable between the pipes.
Johnny Sharir-Smith made it 3-0 at 2:20 of the third, with Strasser notching his second of the game on a breakaway at 4:32.
That spelled the end for Johnson, who was replaced by Derek Kaemingh for the final 10 minutes.
In their opening game yesterday morning, the Muskies hammered the short-staffed Timmins High and Vocational School Blues 12-1.
“The kids moved the puck well,” noted Davis.
“It was a good game to get the nerves out.
“There will be tougher games ahead, for sure,” he added.
Timmins was facing a mountainous task as it iced only seven skaters for the game, with most of their team participating in a Midget ‘AAA’ playoff game last night.
Brett Hahkala put the Muskies on the board at 8:11 of the first against beleaguered Blues’ goalie Michael Gresko.
Jarred Taylor struck short-handed 1:59 later, then assisted on Graeme Kitt’s marker at 12:36.
Kitt lit the lamp again 40 seconds into the second before Brandon St. Denis broke through for a power-play goal for Timmins to make it 4-1.
That would be the last puck to get past Kaemingh, who rarely was tested while watching his teammates unleash a barrage of shots at the opposite end.
Cole Tymkin and Maxwell Williams later pushed the lead to 6-1.
That was followed by another double-barrelled blast from the Muskies, with Tyler VanUden (power play) bulging the twine before Kitt finished his hat trick just 22 seconds later for an 8-1 cushion.
The third was more of the same, with Noah Loveday’s tally at the three-minute mark quickly followed by Malcolm King’s marker 40 seconds later (although the goal officially was awarded to Loveday).
Hahkala then netted his second at 5:10 (the goal was credited to Williams).
Fort High ended the blitz with a rocket from the point from Spencer Shortreed at 10:10.
In yet another intriguing scoresheet mistake, that goal was given to Kaemingh, with an assist going to Johnson—quite the feat considering they are both goalies.