Muskie boys clinch top spot


That didn’t take long.
The Muskie boys’ soccer team already knows it will have an easier day than its league rivals at the NorWOSSA playoffs here May 27.
That’s because Fort High clinched first place—and a bye to the final—after sweeping its two games yesterday in Dryden for the second-straight week.
“That was our first goal was to get the bye,” noted Muskie boys’ coach Shane Beckett, whose team is gunning for its fifth-straight NorWOSSA title.
“Now we have some more team-level goals to accomplish.”
The Muskies (4-0) hammered the host Eagles 5-1 in their first game.
Cam Lidkea, Connor Bujold, Isaac Firth, Tyler Ruppenstein, and Adam Stromberg were the goal scorers.
The goal scorer for Dryden (1-3) was unavailable at press time.
Fort High then nailed down top spot with a 3-0 shutout of the Kenora Broncos (1-3).
Ian Jodoin, Max Williams, and Kevin Metke netted the goals.
Cole Kowalski earned both wins between the pipes.
The Muskie girls’ team also had the chance to nab a bye to the final, but still have some work to do after a controversial tie in their first game yesterday.
Fort High (3-0-1) was unusually porous on defence in allowing Dryden (2-1-1) to forge a 4-4 tie.
But the Eagles’ tying goal on a penalty kick, after a Muskie hand ball violation in its 18-yard box, unofficially came just shy of the 49-minute mark of the second half.
That’s something that never should have happened considering NorWOSSA halves officially are only 40 minutes long.
Some added time typically is tacked on if there are any injury delays but certainly not close to 10 minutes’ worth, according to Muskie coach Sarah Faragher.
“There was some discrepancies in the length of the match,” said Faragher.
“According to my running time stopwatch, the second half lasted almost 10 minutes longer than it should have and I even started my watch a minute or two late,” she noted.
The referee refused to listen to Faragher’s multiple protests.
“I’m going to talk to our athletic director and see what channels there are to appeal,” said Faragher, who didn’t let her team totally off the hook despite the alleged timing error.
“We tell them all the time to be mentally tough,” she remarked.
“We should not have let that [last] goal happen but we did.”
Claire Hyatt notched a pair of goals while Sydney Radigan and Taylor Croswell notched the other ones.
Elizabeth Allan played in goal during the first half, with Bryanna Dustin taking over for the second half.
The Muskies then got back on track with a 4-1 thumping of Kenora (0-4) in their second game.
Maggie Jean led the way with a pair of goals while Myla Angus and Jessica Baxter added singles.
Allan went the distance in goal after Dustin tweaked her knee in the Dryden game and was rested as a precaution.
The goal scorer for the Broncos was unavailable at press time.
Fort High can clinch first place if they beat or tie Dryden on the regular-season’s final day next Wednesday (May 20) in Kenora.