Muskie boys bring home bronze

The Muskie boys’ hockey team captured the bronze medal at a tournament in Winnipeg last week when they beat Miles Mac—the ninth-ranked team in Manitoba—by a score of 11-2.
“For not playing our best hockey, coming in third wasn’t too bad,” said Muskie head coach Shane Bliss. “We have some areas to work on. . . .”
Miles Mac got on the scoreboard first, tallying on their first shot on goal just 20 seconds into the game.
But just 12 second after that, Tyler Miller (Brian White/ Jake Esselink) pulled the Muskies even. Then less than two minutes later, Lucas Romaniuk (Scott McFayden/Esselink) made it 2-1.
Brock Benjamin (Mitch Green) capped the first-period scoring at 8:43.
Benjamin made it 4-1 early in the second when he scored his second of the game after taking a pass from George Halverson and Green while the Muskies were on a power play.
Special teams also had a hand in the next goal as Miller tallied a short-handed goal at 12:42 to put the black-and-gold ahead 5-1.
After Miles Mac cut the deficit to 5-2 with a power-play goal of their own, it was an all-White affair during the last half of the second period as he tallied a short-handed goal at 10:27, then scored again at 6:05 (Tyson Romyn/Andrew Easton).
Fort High iced the victory with third-period goals by Esselink (Matt Redford), McFayden (Romaniuk/Brett Meyers) Redford (George Halverson/Esselink), and Romyn (Miller/White).
The Muskies had opened the 16-team tournament with a 5-2 win against Lord Selkirk, who were ranked 10th in the province.
Fort High jumped out to a 3-0 first-period lead on goals by White and Romyn (two). Lord Selkirk made it 3-1 on a power play early in the second, but Josh Sigurdson regained the three-goal lead at 2:39.
After Lord Selkirk drew to within 4-2 early in the third period, Miller iced the win with 4:09 to go.
The black-and-gold then cruised to a 6-1 win over St. John’s Ravenscourt in their second game.
Romyn (Benjamin/Sigurdson) scored the lone goal of the first period, then Sigurdson netted a power-play tally at 6:17 of the second from Miller and Meyers.
Miller (Esselink) and Halverson (Miller/Esselink) also scored to make it 4-0 through two.
After St. John’s notched one early in the third, Miller (Romyn) and Easton (Benjamin/Sigurdson) rounded out the scoring.
The Muskies then suffered their first loss of the tournament, falling 7-5 to the fourth-ranked Dauphin Clippers after letting a four-goal first-period lead slip through their fingers.
Redford (Esselink/Miller) and Miller (Esselink/White) opened the scoring with a pair of power-play goals before Easton (MItch Green/McFayden) and Esselink (Romaniuk/Redford) made it 4-0 for the black-and-gold.
But it was all Dauphin in the second period as the Clippers exploded for six unanswered goals, including three while playing short-handed.
“In the second we had an unbelievably terrible period,” Bliss remarked.
Dauphin added their seventh goal midway through the third before Miller (Romyn/White) rounding out the scoring with a late power-play tally.
“We played great in the first, real good in the third, but the second was another story,” Bliss added.
But the Muskies rebounded in the quarter-finals, upending Oak Park, the top-ranked team in Manitoba, by a 6-2 score.
“We rebounded well from the disappointing loss the night before,” Bliss remarked.
Once again, Fort High jumped out to a big first-period lead, this time on goals by Romaniuk (Esselink) and a pair by Miller (the first assisted by Redford and the second one by White).
And this time, the black-and-gold didn’t waste it.
Oak Park scored at 8:31 of the second on the power play, but the Muskies replied less than three minutes later on a goal by Sigurdson (Green) to make it 4-1.
Oak Park netted another power-play goal later in the period but, once again, it was Sigurdson (Green/Easton) who got that one right back.
Romyn (White/Miller) tallied the lone goal of the third to ice the win and put the Muskies into the semi-finals against the Calgary Edge Mountaineers.
But a berth in the final was not to be as the Mountaineers cruised to a 6-0 victory that relegated the black-and-gold to the bronze-medal game.
“The roller-coaster ride was on the down swing again for this game,” noted Bliss. “We did not play a very strong first period.”
After Calgary had jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one, the Muskies had a chance early in the second to get back into the game with five-on-three power play, but instead gave up a short-handed goal.
The Mountaineers then added two more goals on just five shots.
After being outshot 10-3 in the first period, the Muskies fired 21 shots on goal to Calgary’s seven over the final two periods but just couldn’t hit the twine.