Local Tom Thumbs drop close finals at tourney here

Close games were the theme of the finals of the annual Tom Thumb tournament here.
The local Skates and Blades boys’ team came closest to the ‘A’ title.
They stormed back from a 3-1 deficit in the second period to force overtime but lost in a shootout to the West End Bruins (Thunder Bay) in the final Sunday.
Daniel Brunetta had opened the scoring for Skates and Blades with six minutes left in the first but the Bruins scored three unanswered goals to close out the period.
Jeff Cridland sparked the comeback with a goal late in the second period and then netted the game-tying marker with three minutes to play in the third.
The two teams tried to break the tie with five-on-five, four-on-four, and then three-on-three situations before going to the shootout.
This marked the second-straight time Skates and Blades had reached the ‘A’ final. They lost to Taggs last year.
Meanwhile, the Times Tigers also fell in a shootout (1-0) in the ‘B’ final against the Red Rock Snakes.
“That game went back-and-forth the whole way,” said Tigers co-coach Bob Green, whose team went 2-2 in pool play and then advanced to the final by eliminating fellow local team West End Motors 3-0.
Luke Henry, Jordan Morrison, and Andrew Gobeil scored for the Tigers while Mike Mainville turned away all the shots between the pipes.
West End had finished 2-1-1 in pool play.
Defending champion Taggs went 3-0-1 in pool play but were eliminated in the ‘A’ semi-finals against the Bruins by a score of 3-2. David Chambers and Chris Cousineau scored for Taggs in that one.
And while the local Skates and Blades Atom girls’ team failed to win a game on the weekend, going 0-4 in pool play and then losing 4-2 to Emo OPP in the ‘C’ semi-finals, they did make a bit of local history by being the first girls’ squad to compete at a boys’ hockey tournament here.
Taylor Meyers scored both goals for Skates and Blades in their final game against Emo while Keith McTavish and Devin Ball each netted a pair for the victors.
The OPP went on to win the ‘C’ title by blanking the Kenora KFC Colonels 4-0. McTavish scored all four goals, including two in a 90-second span to make it 3-0 after the first period.
The Foodtown Fury also went winless in pool play (0-3-1) but took home the ‘D’ title with a 2-1 win over the Emo Rockets.
Ben Bruyere and Matt Moen scored for the Fury while Matthew Sigurdson replied for the Rockets, who had gone 0-4 in pool play.