Danny Smith had a distinguished 21 year career as an athlete in Special Olympics from 1991 – 2012. He competed in a variety of sports, including: baseball, track & field, curling, cross-country skiing, floor hockey, 10 pin bowling, 5 pin bowling and swimming. Danny held many accomplishments in these sports, often winning his events as a Gold, Silver, or Bronze medal winner, as well as distinctive awards such as Athlete of the Year. He was also chosen as captain of many teams because of his leadership and team-building qualities. He competed both regionally in Kenora and Thunder Bay; as well as provincially in London, Chatham, Windsor, Hamilton and Sudbury; and nationally in Calgary and Winnipeg.
Key Career Accomplishments
- Provincials (Various) – Fort Frances Blue Jays Softball (Captain) – (Gold, Silver & Bronze) – 1990’s
- Canadian National Special Olympics (Calgary) – Team Ontario 10 Pin (Participant), 5 Pin Bowling (Gold) – 1994
- Region 8 (Kenora) Winter Games – Curling (Silver),X Country Skiing (Gold) – 1995
- Region 8 (Kenora) Athlete of the Year Award – 1995 -Provincial Championship – Fort Frances Floor Hockey (Bronze) – 2011
- Ontario Special Olympic Games (Various) – Track & Field: 100M (Silver); 200M (Silver); Shot put (Silver). Swimming: Butterfly (Gold), Breast Stroke (Gold) – 1991 – 2012