Fort Frances Sports Hall of Fame inductions: 1991-1993 Organizational and Building committee of the Fort Frances Curling Club

“Curling Club Condemned” read the headline in the October 4, 1991 Fort Frances Daily Bulletin.

This event was the rallying cry for a dedicated group of curling enthusiasts to get to work to secure a new facility for the approximately 500 curlers in the borderland area.

This Organizational & Building Committee worked tirelessly to sell the existing club, secure a new location, and design and build a new facility.

After thousands of volunteer hours the grand opening of the new 1.8 million dollar facility was held on February 13, 1993, continuing the fine tradition of curling in Fort Frances dating back to 1897.

Front from left; Van Green (Finance co-chair), Roz Broman, Brenda Cox, Lynne Broman, Roy Avis (President). Back from left: Ian McLennan, Don Debenedet, Paul Ryan (Vice President), Dave Hughes (Finance co-chair), Jake Kehler (Building coordinator). Missing from photo: Todd Cunningham, Phyllis Flamand, Lynn Fontana, Tom Fry, Bruce McCarty and John McLeod.