Fine Foods capture local IP2 tourney

Fine Foods Fury edged fellow Fort Frances team Taggs 2-1 on Sunday to capture the ‘A’ title at “The Puck Drops Here” local IP2 hockey tournament.
Brett Hahkala opened the scoring for Taggs at 2:18 of the first period after taking a pass from Kyle Knapp.
However, the lead would not hold up as Fine Foods made a furious comeback in the second period.
Tyler VanUden knotted the score at 1-1 after netting an unassisted marker with 4:23 left in the second.
Then less than a minute later, Tyson Morrison passed to Sydney Johnson who, in turn, found Davis Jackson. He slipped the puck past Taggs’ goalie Jesse Quesnel to give his team a 2-1 lead.
Both teams generated quality scoring chances in the third period but were unable to capitalize as Quesnel and Fine Foods’ goalie Matthew Roen shut the door.
The Fury had advanced to the ‘A’ final courtesy of a 7-1 win over the Dryden Wings in the semi-finals.
VanUden may have put in the best individual performance of the tournament, scoring six unassisted goals in the win.
Jackson rounded out the scoring for Fine Foods.
Taggs, meanwhile, earned their spot in the ‘A’ final courtesy of a 3-2 come-from-behind victory over the Dryden Blues in the other semi-final.
Taggs took an early 1-0 in the first period when Tanner Angus converted a pass from Knapp. But Matthew Pitchenesse promptly scored a pair of goals to give the Blues a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.
After a scoreless second period, Taggs turned up the pressure in the third.
Knapp tied the game at 2-2 after converting a pass from Angus. Then, with only 37 seconds left in regulation time, he gave his team the victory.
Fine Foods had finished atop Pool ‘D’ with a perfect 3-0 record during round-robin play, opening play Friday afternoon with a 5-2 victory over the Kenora CC Stars.
VanUden again led the way with a four-goal performance while Lauren Vold rounded out the scoring.
The Fury continued to build momentum with a dominating 8-0 win over the Red Lake Rockets that evening.
Damon Smith led the charge with four goals, VanUden added a pair of markers, while Vold and Jackson rounded out the scoring with singles.
Fine Foods then wrapped up round-robin play Saturday morning with a 5-2 win over the Atikokan Voyageurs.
VanUden scored a hat trick while Morrison added a pair.
For their part, Taggs finished first in Pool ‘A’ with a 3-0 record during the round-robin portion of the tournament, including an 8-2 win over the Emo Little Loggers in their opener Friday.
Knapp led the charge offensively with four goals. Hahkala added a hat trick while Mike Drouin rounded out the scoring for Taggs.
Taggs then earned a hard-fought 5-4 win over the Fort Frances Kaemingh Esso Tigercats Friday evening. Austin Angus netted a pair while Tyler Bruyere, Knapp, and Hahkala added singles.
The squad wrapped up the round-robin portion of the tournament with a 3-1 win over the Kenora KMTS Blues on goals by Knapp (two) and Bryce Gilbert.