Store fire ruled accident

After wrapping up their investigation Sunday morning, the Fort Frances Fire Department has determined a fire at Carpet and Tile Discounters early Friday was accidental.
“There was a baseboard heater involved. After looking at the events that led up to the fire, we’ve determined it was an accident,” Fire Chief Steve Richardson said Monday.
“There was quite a bit of smoke damage but the fire damage was well-contained. The responding firefighters did a good job,” he noted.
Damage to the Scott Street business was assessed at $120,000.
Store owners Robert and Tess Coish, as well as building landlord Margaret Ann Hudson, are insured, Fire Chief Richardson said.
Both Einar’s Foods and North Air Services, located nearby, reported no damage to their buildings nor any problems with smoke due to the fire.
The fire began shortly before 4:30 a.m. on Friday, with firefighters responding within three minutes of the call.
They remained on the scene much of the day, with the investigation carrying through the weekend.