After a contentious battle, the provincial government has released special education funding to school boards across Ontario, effective July 28.
The Cycle 5 Intensive Support Amount (ISA) funding was part of a five-stage initiative by the former Harris government to increase special education funding for high-needs students.
However, the current Liberal government under Premier Dalton McGuinty had held back part of the funding for the 2003-04 school year, and was considering making substantive changes to the ISA process.
The latter would have severely impacted the ability of school boards across the province to provide proper education and support to those students identified with special needs.
But the McGuinty government instead released funds for the 2004-05 school year, as well as the money that had been held from 2003-04.
Director of Education Warren Hoshizaki said the Rainy River District School Board was awarded $700,000 for special needs support. This funding covers things such as hiring teaching staff and education assistants for special programs.
The board’s budget for the upcoming school year already has been completed, but it will be revised it to include this new funding.
The local Northwest Catholic District School Board also received its Cycle 5 funding, totalling $579,000.
About $78,000 of that amount is the money held from last year.
The Catholic board said it they will add the funding to its budget and then divide it appropriately between its schools, depending on need.






