Proper permits needed for shoreline work

The Ministry of Natural Resources reminds the public and contractors to contact the ministry, the local Conservation Authority, and the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans before starting projects in or near water.
Dredging, filling, bank stabilization, water crossings, removing aquatic plants, sunken log retrieval, and the construction of docks and boathouses are some of the activities that may require approvals and permits.
Shoreline waters provide habitat for hundreds of aquatic organisms, including fish. Areas near shore also are where many fish species lay their eggs, feed, and seek protection from predators.
Changes or disruptions to these areas can threaten their survival.
The MNR is responsible for enforcing the Public Lands Act and Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act. Individuals and contractors who do work without the necessary approvals can face both fines and rehabilitation orders from the court.
Two publications, “The Shore Primer: A Cottager’s Guide to a Healthy Waterfront” and “The Dock Primer: A Cottager’s Guide to Waterfront-Friendly Docks,” are available at
The public is asked to help protect Ontario’s natural resources by reporting violations to their local MNR office or by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).