Muskie boys end season with win Girls lose in Kenora

The Muskie boys’ hockey team wrapped up the NorWOSSA regular season on a winning note last night with a 5-3 victory over the host Kenora Broncos.
The outcome had no affect on the final standings nor the playoff match-ups, with the second-place Muskies to open the best-of-three NorWOSSA semi-finals here this Friday against the third-place Broncos.
Game time is 7:30 p.m. at the Ice for Kids Arena.
Game 2 is slated for Sunday night in Kenora, with Game 3, if necessary, back here next Tuesday at 7:15 p.m. (March 1).
The winner will advance to the NorWOSSA final against the winner of the other semi-final between first-place Dryden and fourth-place Red Lake.
Matt Redford got things started last night less than four minutes into the first period with a wicked slapshot from the right hash mark on the power play. Tyler Miller and Jake Esselink drew assists.
Josh Sigurdson made it 2-0 five minutes into the second period with a nifty wraparound on the power play, assisted by Lucas Romaniuk.
The Broncos cut the gap on a cross-ice tip in on the power play with a little over 10 minutes left in the period, then it was Miller with, by far, the game’s best-looking goal.
Crossing the blueline, Miller went to the right, veered in between two Kenora players, veered left, brought himself to a halt, and then roofed a wrist shot with 7:37 left in the frame.
The play was unassisted.
The Muskies went up 4-1 early in the third when Brian White’s shot went through a maze of players and into the net. Esselink and Tyler Pocock were credited with assists.
Kenora stormed back with a pair of goals to make it 4-3 with 13:09 to play, but Romaniuk later capitalized on a defensive turnover in front of the Broncos’ net to seal the win.
Andrew Easton and Sigurdson drew the assists.
The black-and-gold ended up with 47 shots on goal while the Broncos managed just 14 shots on Dedrik Brueggeman.
The Muskies finished the regular season with a 12-4-1-1 mark to Kenora’s 5-11-1-1 record. Dryden was first at 13-2-2-1 while Red Lake was last with a 4-14-0-0 record.
On the girls’ side, the Muskies also were playing in a game that didn’t count towards the final standings last night, coming home with a 6-2 loss to the undefeated Kenora Broncos.
The black-and-gold, who finished third in the standings, will open the best-of-three NorWOSSA playoffs this Friday night in Dryden against the second-place Eagles.
Game 2 will be played here Sunday at 3:45 p.m. at the Ice for Kids Arena, with Game 3, if necessary, back in Dryden on Tuesday night (March 1).
The winner will face Kenora in the NorWOSSA final.
After trailing 1-0 to Kenora last night, Courtney Reutzal, assisted by Francine McCabe, evened the score at 1-1 later in the first period.
But a lack of discipline would prove to be the Muskies’ downfall as their veteran players started taking retaliatory penalties.
The Broncos scored on a power play, then notched another one shortly after to make the score to 3-1 with 7:02 left in the second. Kenora then went up 4-1 on a loop shot that went over Kim Pacarenuk’s shoulder.
The Broncos scored two more goals in the third period before Cortney Caldwell, assisted by Kristen Roehrig, rounded out the scoring with 2:33 to go.
Kenora outshot the Muskies 46-20.