Kids turn out in droves for Hallowe’en

Downtown Fort Frances was a magnet for trick-or-treaters yesterday as the annual “Scott Street Scare” drew hordes of candy-hungry children.
“It was a huge success. We had to have well over 1,500 kids,” organizer Sandra McNay said this morning. “It was one of the best we’ve had, without a doubt.
“Almost every store ran out of candy. We had to run more candy down [from Canada Safeway],” she added. “Next year, we’ll definitely need more donations.
“But the kids were excited about it. You could hear them say, ‘Look how much candy I got!’”
McNay noted a record 45 businesses and organizations gave out candy yesterday, including the Fort Frances Fire Department, Fort Frances Ambulance Service, and Fort Frances OPP.
Many volunteers and store employees were dressed up for the occasion, and even the Pizza Hut “Pizza Pooch” was around—dancing in front of the Fort Frances Museum (which, McNay noted, had been decorated on the outside by local Girl Guides).
As well, Family and Children Services had a tent located near TD Canada Trust and the CIBC, where trick-or-treaters were given glow sticks before they started out for the evening’s goodie gathering.
McNay noted FACS gave out 1,000 glow sticks, running out by 6:30 p.m.
“The Muskie cheerleaders and the Muskie girls’ hockey team were awesome, too,” she added. “They manned the crosswalks, they were really good.”
McNay noted the “Scott Street Scare” ran very smoothly this year.
“There was no mishaps at all,” she remarked. “And a lot of the businesses took my advice and gave out candy outside, so there wasn’t a lot of congestion in the doorways at the stores.”
She remarked everyone she talked to was once again pleased to see the cavalcade of costumed kiddies on the street.
“And I couldn’t believe the amount of adults that were in costume with their kids,” McNay said. “It shows they’re getting into it with their kids. It’s a family thing. And the kids love it.”
Like any good movie monster, McNay noted the “Scott Street Scare” will be back for a sequel next Oct. 31. But she added businesses will have to donate more money for candy.
Currently, they contribute a minimum of $25 each, with any extra candy coming in as donations from local residents.
< *c>‘Spooky trailer’
Meanwhile, at McDonald’s parking lot, Doug Kitowski Trucking once again had a flatbed all decorated for Hallowe’en, with volunteers handing out goodies to little ghosts and goblins.
“It was a really good year. We had a of fun with the kids and the adults,” said organizer Kim Miller.
“I think we had between 600 and 700 kids. We have a fair bit of candy left over, but that will be donated to the Salvation Army,” she added.
A total of 47 businesses—most of which are located in the north and west ends of town—donated candy to be handed out at the “spooky trailer.”
The trailer, which was decorated on Sunday thanks to the efforts of adult and child volunteers, was all decked out in eerie lights, cobwebs, tombstones, skulls, and monsters.
Miller noted she and the rest of the “ghoul crew” started handing out treats at 5 p.m. and stopped when the flow of kids waned at 8:30.
She noted she felt the event, which saw slightly fewer trick-or-treaters than last year, was undoubtedly a success.
“I just hope everybody enjoyed themselves,” laughed Miller, adding it’s certain the “spooky trailer” tradition will continue here next year.
In related news, Fort Frances OPP Cst. Caroline Spencer said this morning it was a relatively quiet Hallowe’en here.
“Operation Pumpkin” reported no problems on “Gate Night” on Sunday, and the only crime of note last night was a report of pumpkin vandalism.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail