Inaugural ‘Fish or No Fish’ a hit

Neither Steve Sus, 19, of Fort Frances nor Tyler Krzoska, 20, of International Falls had expected to walk away from “Fish or No Fish” with more money than they had come with.
But luck must have been on their side.
The pair earned a total of more than $4,000 at the inaugural event, which was held Monday night under the big tent at the Sorting Gap Marina in conjunction with the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship.
The game, similar to NBC’s hit show “Deal or No Deal,” featured two rounds—the first with a top prize of $10,000; the second with the top amount upped to $25,000.
“I would’ve liked to win the $25,000 but I still came out ahead,” Krzoska said afterwards, noting with his job in construction and the possibility of being laid off, his $2,585 would be well spent.
“I wanted to win more, but I’m happy,” echoed Sus, who was the first contestant on stage.
After choosing a sealed tackle box from 26 containing a certain dollar value inside (ranging from $1 to the top amount), Sus then began to eliminate the remaining boxes.
When he received his second offer of $1,502 from “The Captain” to sell his box, after opening 11 of them, he decided to take the deal.
But had he played until the end, he could have walked away with the $3,000 that his chosen tackle box held.
“I feel pretty good,” Sus stressed afterwards. “I came expecting to watch and got called up. I didn’t really want to get up in front of all the people, but it’s good because I have the money.”
Like Sus, Krzoska had not expected to be selected to play the game, let alone the $25,000 round.
“I’m just ecstatic,” he enthused when he got up on the stage. “This is crazy!”
His first offer from “The Captain” was $2,562 but with the audience cheering, he pressed forward. After opening five more tackle boxes, he was tempted with $2,469.
But the top prize was still up for grabs, so he continued on.
Four more boxes were opened and he was told by “The Captain” that he was “slowly sinking.” Krzoska then accepted the next offer of $2,585.
“It’s awesome,” he remarked. “It’s the first time I’ve ever won anything.
“It was nerve-wracking, but I got through it.”
The remaining tackle boxes not picked by Krzoska were opened to show him—and the audience—exactly where the top prize was located. And it turned out he made a good deal because only $800 was in his initial one.
“I wouldn’t have won the $25,000, but it’s all right—I’ll definitely be back next year,” he added, saying this was the first time he had ever been to the FFCBC.
“It was more than I expected,” said Bud Edwards, director of special projects for the FFCBC.
“I had actually, based on advanced ticket sales, resigned myself to a fairly small crowd [but] it just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger in the tent and I was really happy to see the attendance.
“I think everyone had fun,” he added. “Listening to the crowd and they way they shouted and yelled and encouraged the contestants, I think the evening had everything we hoped it would.”
Edwards noted with the success of the event, it’s likely the FFCBC directors will look at holding it again next year.