House damaged in fire

A house on the 300 block of Keating Avenue sustained about $20,000 in damage after a fire there early Easter Sunday morning.
The Fort Frances Fire Department responded to a call at 3:55 a.m. to find a fire burning in what Fire Chief Steve Richardson called a “service room” (a closet which included a hot water tank) in the small, one-storey home at 372 Keating Ave.
He added the resident escaped through the bedroom window and called the fire department from her neighbour’s home after she detected the fire.
“There was no working smoke alarm in the home, so the tenant was lucky to get out,” said Chief Richardson, adding charges are pending as it is being determined whether the tenant or landlord was at fault.
Chief Richardson said the fire, the cause of which was still being determined at press time, was contained to the service room, but that there was smoke and heat damage elsewhere in the home.
He noted while there will have to be some repairs to the home, and it will need to be cleaned up, the damage was relatively minor. In fact, aside from some smoke smudges on the windows, it doesn’t look like there was a fire there from the outside.
The resident received minor injuries fleeing from the home, Chief Richardson said.