High school, board trying to resolve video outcry

Fort Frances High School administration and the Rainy River District School Board are trying to resolve a testy situation after a controversial video involving six students was posted on the Internet.
The roughly two-minute long video depicts the non-native female students dancing to the sounds of a pow-wow while acting drunk and holding liquor bottles.
The “racist” video resulted in at least four First Nations bands pulling their students from the high school for their protection. Most of the students returned to school yesterday morning following the long weekend.
“We met with two groups this morning [Tuesday] and are looking at ways of trying to resolve this,” noted Jack McMaster, director of education for the local public school board.
“We recognize a great deal of disrespect was presented to our aboriginal people and we’re trying very hard to resolve that so we can move on and continue to develop a climate of respect for everybody in our system,” he said.
Being able to sit down and talk things out is a good first step, he said.
“There’s certainly much more action that’s going to be required and we, as a board, are certainly prepared to work with all of our partners,” he stressed.
McMaster indicated it was discussed at the meetings the idea of holding activities that are going to develop a greater understanding and appreciation of aboriginal culture.
Following yesterday’s meetings, Fort High principal Gord McCabe felt the matter was progressing positively.
“We had a pretty productive meeting with some students this morning [Tuesday],” he noted. “We’re hoping this will be a learning experience and hopefully a growing experience about cultural sensitivity for the entire student body and for all of us in the community.
“It certainly hurt a lot of people and I think it’s something where we’ve learned a lot about cultural sensitivity.
“Certainly these girls have learned a lot about the power of technology and the Internet, and just how global a village we are in our own little village,” McCabe continued.
“There’s certainly some work to be done and we’re going to roll up our sleeves and try to do it.”
But Rainy River First Nations Chief Jim Leonard said he feels the matter is being “swept under the rug” by the high school and school board.
After a community meeting, he said it was made very clear that there is a racism problem in the education system in Rainy River District.
In conversations with the school board, Chief Leonard said he felt the issue was being marginalized by it being referred to as an isolated incident.
“What we are asking is that the board of education admit that we have a problem, instead of calling it an isolated incident,” he noted. “Once the board admits there is a problem with racism, then we can deal with it. . . .
“We want to form a partnership.”
Although both the Rainy River District detachment of the OPP and the Treaty Three Police were called upon to investigate the content of the video, it was determined it was not criminal in nature and no charges were laid.
But the six students, all members of the Muskie girls’ hockey team, were removed from the squad prior to Friday’s regular-season finale in Kenora.
McCabe would not say if they also were suspended from school, noting only that they had been “disciplined.”
The six girls also issued an open letter to the aboriginal communities as published in yesterday’s Daily Bulletin and today’s Times.
“Three months ago we gathered to celebrate with friends,” they wrote. “What happened next is inexcusable, nor is there any explanation possible for our stupidity and foolishness.”
“We took a sacred cultural tradition of the Anishnawbe people and treated it like just another dance move off MTV. There was no planning or intent; we never for a second meant to harm anyone.
“And in our ignorance, we have disrespected, insulted, and hurt our aboriginal communities, embarrassed ourselves, our teammates, and our families,” they added.