‘Get Outdoors’ club enjoys camp-out

Conservation projects, learning about nature and our environment, practising bush survival techniques, participating in heritage activities, such as fishing, hunting, and shooting activities—this is what the Fort Frances “Get Outdoors” Club is all about.
The club is the junior division of the Fort Frances Sportsmen’s Club, and is run by Henry Miller.
The “Get Outdoors” Club, which has 12 members about age eight-14, has been extremely busy this past summer and fall.
We have completed multiple conservation projects, including a beaver baffler north of Emo; monitored beetles to see if their population is increasing enough to control purple loosestrife; and cleaned out the 36 “bluebird” house lines, which we have established in La Vallee and Alberton; and many more.
As well, we have practised heritage activities, such as shooting with .22 rifles, and bow and arrows.
Along with our many outings, the club has two-three meetings a month, which are held at Kitchen and Bath Plus. These meetings are run by club president Meagan Empey and Mr. Miller.
Also sitting on the executive are vice-president Nick Donaldson, treasurer Sara Empey, telephone communicator Robert Empey, and secretary Kari Manty.
On Oct. 15-16, we had a camp-out at Minnow Lake. Ten club members were present, along with five parents and Mr. Miller.
Once we had made our shelters, we went on a hike, on which we went over compass work, tree identification, and animal signs.
For trees, we found black and white spruce, black ash, jack pine, balsam, and poplar. The only animal we saw on the hike was a Whiskey Jack, but, on the way in, partridge, juncos, and squirrels were spotted.
As well, we found many signs that animals had been there, including holes and scratching on bark from a woodpecker, holes in the ground from a fox, groundhog, or some other critter, and tracks and droppings from deer.
When we got back, we built numerous fires and cooked our supper.
After a game of “Sardines,” and sitting around the fire, we retired to our tents and shelters—but not before we had lullabied Mr. Miller to sleep.
The next morning, we packed up and left around 9 a.m. We all had a great time—despite the minus-five degree weather.