Foundation planning giant used furniture sale

Got furniture, musical instruments, or other items you just didn’t manage to sell at a garage sale this summer, but still want to get rid of?
The Riverside Foundation for Health Care is looking for your donations—or even items to sell on consignment—for its inaugural “Giant Used Furniture Sale” slated Sept. 27-28.
“It’s going wonderfully,” said Joan Allison, chair of the Foundation’s special events committee.
“We didn’t do much during the summer, except spread news of it by word of mouth and some posters,” she noted. “But recently, we’ve got quite a few phone calls.”
The sale, which will take place at the Little Beaver Snow Park lodge off McIrvine Road near the town landfill site, will see either the sale of donated items or items which the Foundation will sell on consignment.
In the latter case, the owners would get 85 percent of the proceeds, with the other 15 percent going to the Foundation.
“We’ve really been quite astonished by some of the donations,” said Allison.
She noted while the items have been about half as donations and half for consignment, the amount of donations from the hospital and individuals, like one who donated a garage full of stuff, has been impressive.
“We’ve got a pipe organ, couches, a chest of drawers, rollaway beds, chairs, and even hospital beds,” Allison enthused.
The sale will run Friday, Sept. 27 from 4-8 p.m. and again Saturday, Sept. 28 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Any donated items can be moved into the lodge on Sunday, Sept. 22 from 2-5 p.m., or again that Wednesday and Thursday (Sept. 25-26) from 4-7 p.m.
While movers, including some members of the Borderland Thunder hockey team, will help out with donated items, Allison said it’s preferable that people deliver it themselves.
“This is the first time we’ve done this. It was an idea from one of our board members earlier this year,” she added.
“I would like to think it’s going to be a successful fundraiser, with thanks to all the people who donated things to us.”
For more information, or to donate an item for sale or on consignment, call Allison (274-9484) or Foundation director Teresa Hazel (274-4803).
Money raised will go towards projects such as the hemodialysis unit here as well as renovations at district hospitals, like the Phase IV overhaul at La Verendrye Hospital targeted to begin next spring.