The Fort Frances Jail will be a beneficiary of a provincial hiring spree of correctional officers, according to a government of Ontario press release.
The Ontario government has announced it is hiring 23 new correctional officer graduates who will be joining the front lines across the province. Three of these employees will be assigned to the Northern Region, including the Fort Frances Jail. The remainder of the three will be deployed to Monteith Correctional Complex, and Thunder Bay Jail. These graduates are part of Ontario’s commitment of $500 million over five years to hire more than 500 correctional workers, modernize outdated infrastructure and strengthen community safety.
“I would like to congratulate the graduates for their hard work and commitment in completing the training program, particularly throughout this unprecedented time,” said Solicitor General Sylvia Jones. “Correctional officers are entrusted to perform a great service to our communities and make a real difference each and every day in helping to keep Ontarians safe.”
The training program took place virtually and in-person, providing officers with institution-based training, including more job-specific case studies and scenario-based learning with an emphasis on inmate management techniques and de-escalation skills. This approach builds critical-thinking, decision-making and problem-solving so graduates are better prepared to respond to real life situations. The training also focuses on improved communication, anti-Black racism, and Indigenous cultural training.
The graduates will be assigned to 16 different institutions across Ontario near their home regions:
- Three graduates will support the Northern Region at Fort Frances Jail, Monteith Correctional Complex, and Thunder Bay Jail.
- Five will work in the Central Region at Hamilton-Wentworth Detention Centre, Maplehurst Correctional Complex, Niagara Detention Centre and Vanier Centre for Women.
- Four will work in the Toronto East Detention Centre and Toronto South Detention Centre.
- Five will work in the Eastern Region at Brockville Jail/St. Lawrence Valley, Central East Correctional Centre, Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre and Quinte Detention Centre.
- Six will work in the Western Region at Central North Correctional Centre, Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre and Sarnia Jail.