Committee to recommend ‘park’ remain open

At its regular meeting last Friday, the Planning and Development executive committee heard the concerns of the “Citizens to Preserve Williams Avenue Park,” and agreed to recommend the empty lot remain designated as open space.
“We agreed to recommend to leave it status quo, for now,” said councillor Neil Kabel, who sits on the committee.
The decision was good news to the citizens working to keep the property on the 1100 block of Nelson Street open.
“At this point, the recommendation will be to leave the space as-is,” said Michelle George, who lives near the area and is spearheading the group of residents who are concerned about the contested property.
The final decision on whether or not to follow the recommendation of the committee will now go to council.
“I’m being optimistic,” George noted. “But if the majority [of council] still want to go ahead [with the rezoning,] our petition will remain the same. We will appeal,” she noted.
Council had deemed the property surplus at a May meeting, at which time it directed the Planning and Development executive committee to recommend the most appropriate use for the land.
At a meeting of this committee last month, the group of area residents attended to voice their concerns. The committee agreed to table the issue for further discussion, which took place on Friday.
“This piece of property is of value to residents, not only in this area but in others,” George said, adding the group of citizens worked hard to make their voices heard.
“We appreciate that Todd Hamilton and Neil Kabel went to bat and took what we said seriously,” she noted. “Once you lose green space, you don’t get it back.”
George said the property is now designated as “open space.”
“One of the uses of open space is park and recreation,” she added.
The area is an important play space for children in the neighbourhood, George noted.
“The bottom line is, for the kids in this area, there is no other safe alternative for them to go to, unless you want them playing on the truck route, or on the riverbank where there’s a current,” she said.
Currently, there is no equipment on the property, but children sometimes use the open space to play hockey or football.
“If it needs to be visible to say it’s a park, then we’ll plant some swings. The residents here have certainly indicated to me that they’re willing to put forward some money to put it up themselves. We’ve told the council we’re not asking them to foot the bill for this. We want to keep the neighbourhood the way it is,” George stressed.
While she is pleased with the committee’s recommendation, George said she is aware this is not a permanent move.
“Of course it doesn’t mean that it’s forever,” she noted, adding the council has every right to seek to change the zoning.
“It’s their property. But in doing so, they have to serve notice on all the residents. And we do have the ability to appeal. It’s a long and costly process. I’m not sure the town’s ready to do that. We are,” she pledged.