The Citizen of the year award is given out each year to an exceptional member of the public who is recognized for the work they do that makes the town a better place to live. Nominees must be a citizen of the town of Fort Frances, and should be considered for their excellence in volunteering their time to service clubs, school groups, town, church or community committees without financial or personal compensation.
As the pandemic caused havoc and shutdowns during the earlier months of the year when nominations are usually collected, council decided to push back the closing date for nominations until October 22 in order to give the public as much time as possible to come up with deserving individuals. Mayor June Caul will kick tonight’s meeting off with the announcement of the award winner.
Last year’s Citizen of the Year award was given to Joy Lockman for her volunteer work at the “Loaves and Fishes” soup kitchen at the New Beginnings Fellowship, in addition to other volunteer work.
Tonight’s regular council meeting will follow the committee of the whole meeting, which gets underway at 5:30 p.m. Go to the town’s website for a link to the Microsoft Teams meeting.
According to the agenda, there are three in-camera items to be discussed by council following the public portion of the meeting.
The first item involves personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees: Board Representation
The second item involves personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees: Service Request
The final in-camera item is for the purpose of educating or training the members: Policy review
Other business on tonight’s agenda includes:
- a presentation from the Border Waters Forest Management Corporation
- a public meeting on the 2021 budget
- a report re: Reserves Reallocation
- a report re: 2021 Community Services User Fees Schedule
- a report re: Establishing 2021 Water and Sewer Rates
- a by-law to amend a land sale agreement with Tom Veert Contracting Limited with respect to the sale of certain lands
- a by-law to authorize an agreement to lease and service photocopiers for the Fire Hall and Sports Centre
- a by-law to approve an agreement with Nor Col EZ Dock awarded through the tender process
- a by-law to authorize the entering into of a land lease agreement with Canadian National Demolition at the Fort Frances Municipal Airport