Cigarette blamed for fire

A cigarette is being blamed for a fire at Elizabeth Manor in the east end of town on Good Friday afternoon.
Flames and smoke were seen venting from a second-floor window when firefighters and the ambulance service arrived on the scene around 1:55 p.m.
“It wasn’t a very difficult fire to fight,” Fort Frances Fire Chief Steve Richardson said Monday morning.
“It was contained to one apartment and by the time we got there, the fire was already venting itself out the window,” he noted.
No injuries were reported in the blaze, which caused an estimated $65,000 in fire, smoke, and water damage to the unit and adjoining apartments.
“The occupant wasn’t at home at the time. He was across the hall visiting when the fire started,” Chief Richardson said.
A smoke detector was responsible for alerting residents to the fire.
After an investigation, Fort Frances OPP and the fire department determined the blaze was caused by a carelessly-discarded cigarette, which was found on a mattress in the apartment.