Life skills begin at young age on the farm

I started today with a few tears. First was an e-mail that my friends from Dearlock sent me about a dog.
You know how much my dog means to me and as she gets older, this e-mail touched me in a big way.
She and I went for our walk, and I forgot about that as we were waiting for the trailer to come and pick up my big old bull. Today was the day—he is off to his final destination.
Of course, I cried as he left the driveway. He was a nice old guy and did good work, but he was starting to have some feet issues and he simply was just getting too big and old.
Alas, I ticked him off in a big way before he left as he needed to have an RFID tag put in.
His ears were tough as leather and as thick as plywood, but finally we managed to get one in. Not really in the ideal spot, but it would do for this trip.
He always co-operated, so I hated to see him go (this is when I shouldn’t be a farmer).
I’m done breeding now. I returned my borrowed bull and managed to bring home the other one from Blackhawk. He’ll just hang out for the next 10 months waiting for the next breeding season.
He will be busy fighting flies, though, as they are out in full force now!
• • •
Last week was an exciting time with the sod-turing ceremony for the new abattoir in Emo. The weather wasn’t the greatest, but we were all in good spirits as this is finally going to become a reality.
I am so pleased. It will be the first time in my adult career as a farmer that I will be able to access an abattoir this close to home!
As transportation costs continue to rise, I think our entire region will be happy to have access to local foods.
• • •
Fisher will be jealous, but on Friday I was at a party with Mrs. C.! Mr. C came, as well, and both are wonderful people (I think I’m going to give Mr. C. my first steak once our abattoir is built).
My brother and his wife hosted a retirement party for my brother’s father-in-law. It was a surprise. They were suppose to return from golfing at 6 p.m. but they didn’t roll in until about 7:30.
Terry was surprised. His first question was “What’s the party for?”
I was just happy that Terry wasn’t my principal when I was in high school since I wasn’t the best student. I might have been voted “Kid most likely to get in trouble!”
I think my parents were relieved that I graduated.
I always admired how Terry seemed to find good in all the kids and always asked what they were doing now.
I wish him a great retirement. I know that he has worked very hard and is deserving of this.
If he gets bored, I’m sure I could find a few jobs for him.
• • •
We managed to bring Maddie out with us on Friday night. Marlee went to sleep during the party, but Maddie sure wouldn’t. She was tired, and went straight to bed at Grandma and Grandpa’s.
This is a busy time of the year to just play, so we did a craft early in the morning before I had to get to work. I picked her up later when I went baling hay (yes, it has started–cross your fingers for good weather!)
I didn’t know how long that would last as it is like a mini greenhouse in our tractor since we don’t have air conditioning, but finally after a couple of hours, a short rest, and a few snacks, Grandma came to check on her.
As soon as she saw the truck, Maddie said, “I am not going with Grandma, I have to make hay for ‘Darma.’”
I thought it was best if she took a break, so I told her that she and Grandma should go for a walk and see Darma as the cows were all laying in the barn yard fighting the flies. She agreed.
Grandma and Maddie were walking in the cows when a calf jumped up on one of the steers.
Grandma said, “Oh, isn’t he being silly?” But Maddie responded, “Grandma, he’s not being silly, he is just making a baby.”
Life skills begin at a young age when you’re on the farm!

Posted in Uncategorized