How to report losses by predators

Ag rep, Emo

Throughout the year, but largely during the summer and fall, I get telephone calls from people who have had wolves, coyotes, or dogs take a liking to their livestock or poultry—and help themselves to a quick meal.
These people usually are not sure who to call and exactly what the proper procedure is when a predator kills or injures their livestock.
There is a piece of legislation called the Livestock, Poultry & Honey Bee Protection Act which outlines what to do, who to call, and what, if any, entitlement there is for compensation for the loss of your animal(s).
If there is any compensation, the act also outlines what the limits are based upon the species of livestock or poultry involved.
If you have livestock killed or injured by predators and you live in an incorporated township, the first thing you do is contact your municipal office and find out who the valuer is in your municipality.
The valuer is the person who investigates the claim for damages and determines the type of predator responsible for the losses.
Each municipality is required to have an appointed valuer to carry out the duties of the act.
If the predator was a dog, wolf, or coyote, the valuer determines the extent and amount of damages, filing a written report, with a copy to the municipal clerk and one to the owner.
The valuer’s report includes an estimate of the liveweight of the animal killed or injured, and a compensation amount based upon the market value of the animal involved.
The valuation of an injured animal could include veterinarian bills and other costs of treating the animal and restoring it to normal health.
The owner is not allowed to dispose of the carcass until the valuer has inspected the damage and made a report.
The owner also must file an affidavit attesting that the livestock or poultry were killed or injured by a wolf, coyote or dog other than a dog owned by him/her.
Following the visit by the valuer, the livestock owner is required to dispose of the carcass per the Dead Animal Disposal Act.
If you live in an unorganized township, the procedure is almost identical except that you would call your nearest Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs office to come and investigate.
There also is a similar type of program for livestock killed or injured by bears. However, with bears, you call your nearest OMAFRA office, whether you live in an incorporated area or an unincorporated area.
< *c>Dates to remember
•Oct. 6—Calf sale, Stratton sales barn; and
•Oct. 9-12—Large animal clinic dates for Dr. Blair Simonson (call 274-7393 to book an appointment).

Posted in Uncategorized