Farmers eligible for EI benefits

By Gary Sliworsky
Ag rep, Emo

Beginning in January, 2011, self-employed Canadians (e.g., farmers) will be able to access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits.
There are four types of EI special benefits:
•maternity benefits;
•parental benefits;
•sickness benefits; and
•compassionate care benefits
You may be eligible to access EI special benefits beginning in January if you:
•are a self-employed person; and
•are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada; and
•have entered into an agreement with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission through Service Canada.
Since Jan. 31, 2010, self-employed persons are able to enter into an agreement with the CEIC through Service Canada.
To enter into an agreement with the CEIC, you will have to register online using My Service Canada Account anywhere you can access the Internet, including at a Service Canada Centre near you.
By entering into this agreement, you will confirm your interest in participating in this measure and in paying EI premiums on your self-employment income.
Please note that if you previously have used My Service Canada Account, you can register using your existing user code and password.
If you have not used My Service Canada Account previously, you can apply at any time for a personal access code on the My Service Canada Account web page at
Once you apply, it will take about 10 days to receive your personal access code in the mail.
Since Jan. 31, 2010, self-employed persons were able to enter into an agreement with the CEIC through Service Canada.
You will have to wait 12 months from the date of your agreement before you will be able to make a claim for EI special benefits.
For more information, visit Service Canada’s website.
Dates to remember
•July 28–Soil and crop tour, beginning at noon at the Emo Agricultural Research Station; and
•July 28–Emo Agricultural Research Station open house, 7 p.m.

Posted in Uncategorized