Enjoying the last days of summer

We have almost passed the summer away.
My eldest son will fly off to his final year at Guelph next Monday while my younger son will follow on the next Sunday to Carleton in Ottawa. It hardly seems possible that I was picking them up during the final week of April for their summer vacation.
I suspect that many parents are surprised at how quickly the school year is getting underway.
My wife, Marnie, already has been to the high school for more than a week, making preparations for her fall students. Others were already ahead of her. They, too, are probably surprised at how quickly the summer has disappeared.
The Emo fair usually marks the summit of summer as friends gather from across the district to meet and talk about family in front of the exhibition building. Then there is that breathing space until Labour Day.
School is back in before the first Monday in September this year. Students then will be heading back to the classrooms across the district while others will be heading off to campuses across the country the last week of August.
This summer—perhaps the coldest on record—seems to have happened much too quickly. The cold weather seemed to slow many a planned job. This spring at the cabin, the water line failed to hold water and we put a temporary one in.
Later, we discovered the foot valve that prevents water from running out was broken and needed replacement.
We kept waiting for a weekend when the water was going to be warmer to make that repair. The water never did warm up. We felt sorry for our sons who were going to have to spend a fair bit of time in the water to make the repair.
For several years, the blueberry crop on the island has not lived up to its potential. We had hoped that this year would be better. Everything looked great: the flowers came after the last frost and the days seemed to become warmer, but not too hot.
But this year the rain failed and the crop that could’ve been great didn’t materialize. The blueberries at Safeway finally have looked good.
Three 75 to 80-year-old red pines died behind the cabin last fall and then were knocked down and sawn into stove lengths. My brother-in-law, Rod Plumridge, worked on that pile of wood for a whole week and it now sits proudly stacked between trees.
It was a major undertaking, and we now have wood for the next five years.
Our family always has used the lake to bathe in and this year was no different. However, as we seem to grow older, the comfort of hot water drizzling over your body is much more appealing than the cold shock of water on your torso first thing in the morning.
The discussion has been circling around the idea of putting an addition to the cabin that would include a shower and an environmental toilet.
But those are projects for the fall of this year or the spring of next. In the meantime, our family will have one more weekend together at the cabin with everyone there.
And maybe one last swim.

Posted in Uncategorized