Trial set for accused in fatal bus crash

The Nova Scotia man charged with causing a fatal bus crash nearly a year ago will spend another Christmas in custody.
But he now knows when he’ll have his day in court.
Lawyer Chris Watkins said yesterday the trial of Shaun Davis has been scheduled for three weeks beginning Feb. 11.
“I’m pleased for Mr. Davis that the matter is progressing to trial,” Watkins said. “It’s been a difficult wait for him and he certainly is pleased to see light at the end of the tunnel.”
Superior Court Justice Stanley Kurisko will be the presiding judge.
Davis, 22, has been in custody since the Dec. 23, 2000 accident that saw 32 passengers injured when a Greyhound bus veered off Highway 17 near Upsala, about 135 km west of Thunder Bay.
All the passengers suffered varying injuries and one woman, Mary Louise Lent, later died in Thunder Bay Regional Hospital.
Lent, 74, was a London, Ont. resident en route from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay when the crash occurred.
Davis was charged with man-slaughter and criminal negligence causing death. He also is charged with four counts of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.
In July, a two-day preliminary hearing resulted in a decision to send Davis to trial.
Davis, who was living in Calgary at the time, had been heading home to Nova Scotia.