Stratton sales barn damaged by blaze


A fire at the Stratton sales barn broke out yesterday afternoon but fortunately no person or animal was injured.

Between 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. the fire started and the Stratton fire department had an incredible response time, according to long-time sales barn volunteer Kim Jo Bliss of the Rainy River Cattlemen’s Association (RRCA).

She said while two roofed pens did burn down, if the fire had progressed for another five minutes, it is likely they would have lost everything.

It is believed that the cause of the fire was a spark from a power saw that landed on some hay and went up in flames immediately.

The lumber surrounding the pens that burned was 60 years old, and incredibly dry, according to Bliss.

The sales barn slated for this Saturday (Sept. 28) will still proceed it just may be smaller in size than originally anticipated, depending on how immediately the cleanup can occur.

The barn’s insurance company will be on site today to asses the damage and following the assessment. Bliss said they’ll be able to make plans for repairs.

If repairs have to be delayed the sale will just feature have calves and yearlings.

But if they can proceed, bulls and cows will be accepted as well.

An official statement with further details regarding the fire and repairs will be made by the RRCA as soon as more information is made public.

Bliss would like to thank all the community members who have reached out offering help and support.