The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are reminding the public to lock their vehicles to prevent theft.
By taking simple preventative measures, such as confirming your vehicle is locked and by placing items of value out of sight or removing valuable items from your vehicle altogether, victimization can be avoided.
You can help prevent theft by following some crime prevention tips:
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate/proof of insurance on you at all times.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
If you have been a victim and haven’t reported it, the OPP would like to know by calling 1-888-310-1122.
Police conduct focused patrols to stop crime in areas targeted by criminals, but without the proper information target areas may not get the attention required.
Police are asking the public to do your part to protect your vehicle and vehicle contents from theft.