FORT FRANCES—With news earlier this month that Greyhound Canada is looking to cancel its route between here and Thunder Bay, town council agreed Monday night to send a letter to the Minister of Transportation to stress the importance of the bus service to area residents.
Discussion was sparked after council received a letter from the Northern Action Group (NAG) regarding the proposed elimination.
The letter, from NAG advocate Allan T. Bedard, asked council, as well as leaders such as MPP Howard Hampton, MP Ken Boshcoff, Couchiching Chief Chuck McPherson, and other area chiefs, to “address this most prompt and immediate concern.”
“I would suggest, at the very least, we write a letter, not to the operator, but to the authority that supervises transportation . . . and stress upon them our concerns and that we would like them to not proceed with shutdown until they find another provider,” said Coun. Paul Ryan.
“I think it’s vital,” noted Coun. John Albanese. “A lot of people depend on that line for medical care, and other people, seniors, use it for transportation.
“We should do something about it.”
“I do believe there is support out in the district,” said Coun. Sharon Tibbs, noting the busing issue was discussed at an April 3 meeting of the Rainy River District Municipal Association.
“I think it might be wise not only for us to shoot off a letter, but we should also contact the other municipalities and ask them to do the same, maybe come up with some kind of draft they can easily sign,” she added.
(RRDMA president Emily Watson had said in an previous interview that the issue would be introduced for discussion at the Northwestern Ontario Municipal Association meeting taking place this week in Thunder Bay).
“I’m in total agreement with what council’s said tonight,” echoed Mayor Roy Avis, adding council should “move as fast as we can” to make its position known on the proposed discontinuation.
Coun. Ken Perry noted the town also should send a letter to both Hampton and Boshcoff.
Meanwhile, the public is still welcome to sign a petition to stop the discontinuation of the bus service. These petitions are at numerous locations around town.
< *c>Greyhound update
In related news, Greyhound spokesperson Peter Hamel said yesterday that the bus company in now in accordance with the Public Vehicles Act—and has posted its 90-day notice of discontinuing the service.
This brings the cancellation date up to July 4, if nothing changes before then.
He added the company “has had some good, qualified people seek interest” in taking over the route, and is “working through businesses cases with them right now.”
“We have received some considerable interest in the area from qualified operating companies,” noted Hamel.
As first reported April 4, while Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp. had been aiming for full discontinuation of service between Fort Frances and Thunder Bay as early as May 4, this date has been pushed back to July 4.
Greyhound had not been in compliance with the Public Vehicles Act.
According to the act, Greyhound had to give the public and Minister of Transportation’s office 90 days’ notice in order to the cancel the run and this was not done.
(Fort Frances Times)






