The Canadian Press
TORONTO–After days of backlash over its cuts to institutions serving francophones, Ontario’s Progressive Conservative government says it’s making changes meant to recognize the “significant and ongoing” contributions of the Franco-Ontarian community.
In a statement Friday evening, Premier Doug Ford said his government is creating the position of French-Language Services Commissioner within the provincial ombudsman’s office and seeking to turn the office of francophone affairs into a ministry.
The Tories announced last week they were transferring the commissioner’s mandate to Ontario’s ombudsman and scrapping plans for a stand-alone French-language university.
The moves sparked massive outcry from francophones in Ontario and Quebec, and publicly were denounced by a member of Ford’s own caucus, Amanda Simard, who represents a largely francophone riding.
Both Ford and the minister responsible for francophone affairs, Caroline Mulroney, said the cuts were necessary to bring down the province’s deficit, although they did not say how much would be saved.
In Friday’s statement, Ford thanked “all the people who reached out” to his office following last week’s announcement and said he looks forward to building a “constructive dialogue” with Franco-Ontarians.
“They’re fighters. They’re part of the history of Ontario,” he noted. “They continue to work hard for generations to promote and preserve their beautiful culture and language in our province.”
The government also said Ford’s office will hire a senior policy adviser on francophone affairs.
No changes were announced in regard to the university but Mulroney was quoted as saying she looks forward to the day when the province is in a “financial position” to proceed with such projects.
“I will continue to be a tireless advocate for the university, by and for francophones, so that when we are in a position to proceed with the build, we will be ready to go,” Mulroney said.