The Canadian Press
TORONTO–Some workers in the provincial Child and Youth Advocate’s office will lose their jobs when the Ontario Ombudsman assumes its duties this spring, the watchdog said Friday.
Ombudsman Paul Dube also confirmed the advocate’s office in Thunder Bay will close, but said he will consult with northern and indigenous communities to ensure they will continue to have access to his services.
“I am confident that the standards, methods, integrity, and effectiveness of the Ombudsman’s office will not only ensure that the rights and interests of children and youth are protected, but will benefit them through our proven ability to address issues and drive positive change,’ Dube said in a statement.
Dube said advocacy-related work previously done by the office will be transferred to the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services.
The ombudsman said the exact number of positions affected will be determined in the coming weeks.
The Child and Youth Advocate’s office said it currently employs 75 people.