I can help with support orders

Since being elected, one of the things I’ve tried to do is raise awareness of the type of services I offer in each community.
While a lot of attention is paid to the “political” aspects of Question Period, speeches, or statement in Queen’s Park, many people often don’t realize the largest part of my job is helping people navigate their way through the often confusing web of public services in Ontario.
That’s why, from time to time, I like to use this space to highlight some common issues I come across and highlight how my community offices can help you.
One of the more common provincial agencies my office is contacted about is the Family Responsibility Office (FRO), which is charged with enforcing child and spousal support orders in the province of Ontario.
In my experience, many people find their dealings with the Family Responsibility Office confusing and frustrating.
Already dealing with a very emotional situation, those who contact my office often are at their wits end when trying to successfully resolve their situation, whether it’s collecting payments, stopping payments at the end of the support order, or working with similar organizations in other provinces, which often can be even more frustrating with two separate provinces trying to navigate through their own—often very different—sets of rules and regulations.
Fortunately, if you are experiencing difficulty with the Family Responsibility Office, my constituency offices in Fort Frances, Kenora, and Dryden are here to assist you and try to make the process a little easier regardless of whether you’re the payor or the recipient.
While the staff in my offices cannot provide legal advice, they are there to help navigate the system as a neutral third party. Best of all, our assistance is free of charge and available to any resident of the Kenora-Rainy River riding.
While all cases are different, some of the most common problems we assist with are late payments, overpayments, and the FRO continuing to deduct payments after the support order has come to an end.
We also can provide background information about how the FRO works and answers to almost any question you may have.
In cases where staff do not know the answer, they will be happy to find it out and report back to you.
If you’re unsure of what type of help we can provide in your situation, the best bet is to call 274-7619 in Fort Frances or toll-free 1-800-465-8501 anywhere in the Kenora-Rainy River riding.