Two less crop trials due to rain

Well, here we are in the second week of October and we are already over the normal amount of rainfall for this month.
But, on a brighter note, the sun is shining. It was last evening as well and then we had a thunderstorm.
I had to make the executive decision to cancel our winter wheat plans for this fall.
I had the seed in record time, but it should be in the ground at the very latest by the end of September.
Even if the rain stopped today, I wouldn’t be getting that in the ground for a couple of weeks.
So, this weather will continue to show its nasty effects into next year as well.
This will mean two less trials and, of course, less income for the research station.
On the farm, the list of what is getting put off because of this extra wet fall is just getting longer and longer.
I had troubles getting to sleep last night because I was thinking about not getting the manure out and how I will be able to have a decent calving area for my cows.
Then I was worried about the mud my calves are in and how I can get them moved out but keep my butcher animals clean.
The thought of taking hay to cattle in the next few weeks just makes me sick to think of the deep ruts that will create.
The lambs that are remaining are in the barn, so they are happy along with the two newest goats.
The ewes and alpaca are out and despise the conditions.
Marlee and I ended up moving two rabbits into the new rabbit hotel inside the barn.
Black Bettie is back in the house and living her best life!
Many of us would have liked to make a bit more hay, but I don’t think any of us have much room to spare when it comes to the hay pile. But there is little chance of haying currently.
It also concerns me with the amount of standing water in our fields–the freezing of this could potentially do a lot of damage to our plants.
I am trying my best to stay grateful; we are all in this together and it could always be worse but, damn, it sure could be a lot better!
• • •
Thank you to the Rainy River Federation of Agriculture for hosting the all-candidates’ meeting last Thursday night.
It certainly reminded me that we need to be proactive with our candidates to get them information on agriculture.
It is not easy to be in their shoes and shouldn’t be expected to know about walks of life, but we can do a better job of getting information out to them.
Either way, please vote!!
• • •
We sold 141 cull cows and bulls on Saturday at the Stratton sales barn.
The animals would have likely been sold at our last sale but because of the fire we were short on room.
There were a few producers that were not able to get their cattle in because of our weather conditions.
I sold three cows and a bull. I was happier with my prices this weekend but selling cows and bulls that have been around for awhile isn’t something that I enjoy.
Our next sale is Oct. 19 and we are considering selling cull cows and bulls on Friday night. Stay tuned for that.
We are still waiting for the OK to clean up our fire mess; surely, that will come this week.
• • •
Thank you to all those who have been asking about my dad!
He is back in Fort Frances and hopefully healing well.
He broke it quite bad and cannot put any weight on it for six weeks.
I think until he is a bit more mobile he will likely be in the hospital, but that is the best place for him right now!