Still lots of work at EARS

Though it was a damp morning here in Rainy River District on Monday, we sure cannot complain about the temperatures!
It seems odd not to be dressing up in full outdoor gear.
I even had to cut my grass again over the weekend—amazing! And my flowers are still blooming. I realize all good things come to an end but I’m savouring every bit of it.

We still have soybeans and edible dry beans to harvest at the Emo Agricultural Research Station. We easily could have tackled them both last week, but now I have a deadline to meet and I have to concentrate on cleaning and weighing the Ontario cereals (barley, wheat, and oats.)
That is around 400 bags of seed–and countless measurements.
The data has to be entered by tomorrow (Thursday) and it needs to go through three programs before it is completed. So I definitely will be very close to the deadline before I get things in.
Though I have someone helping in the afternoons, time is slipping away quickly.
Meanwhile, I still haven’t got an exact plan on what I should be doing for field work this fall. I really dread the thought of working up the entire place with a ripper but if that is what has to be done, then I will have to do it.
I guess I’m thinking about how hard it is laying out plots (must be my age catching up to me).

I recently had a couple of guests from Manitoba Agriculture: John Heard, a soil specialist whom many will remember, and a colleague of his who is a plant pathologist.
They were on a fishing trip to the area so they stopped in for a quick visit at EARS, then came to my place for a farm tour Saturday.
John still has a deep passion for agriculture here in Rainy River District. His father was the ag rep for our district many years ago.

A big thank-you to Jason Teeple, Steve Loshaw, and Colin Vanbeek for letting their names stand to sit on the board of the abattoir.
Though we certainly are having a tough time to make ends meet, it is great these guys see the value in working for something that’s important for the entire district.

I will be taking the last of my beef to the abattoir this week and a couple more lambs. We still will have some lambs to go but these last ones need to grow a bit more first.
We re-arranged all the cattle over the weekend in preparation of preg-checking this weekend. The bulls are all home and are sorting out who is the boss again.
If I keep the horse with them at this time of fighting, he normally don’t allow them to fight too long and they get over the power struggle rather quickly.
We still have a lot of manure to be hauled out to our hay fields. My dad normally does most of this, but he has been too busy with his “part-time” jobs to focus on this.
We actually got everything hooked up and moved around for him in hopes that this job still will happen!