Still battling scours problem

Well, as I was cruising along nearing the end of calving and my getting up through the night, the “s” word hit the fan!
That being scours, which is the same as diarrhea and can be very deadly in young calves.
I needed to be away from home for two-straight days last week so I booked my mom as my farm checker. I predicted that my next two heifers likely would calve while I was away (which would stress my mom out) or through the night (so that I would get little sleep.)
Well, it was through the night that it all started. Fortunately, I have friends I can call even at 1:30 a.m., who came and gave me a hand with no remorse and we pulled a nice big calf.
That same day, I had noticed some calves with scours and I treated them that evening. The next morning, I treated them again and gave one calf some electrolytes (you cannot let them dehydrate), but really didn’t think she was all that bad.
I then left for my day. My mom sent a text at noon that said things were all fine.
Alas, in the next hour I got a text that the calf was dying—and yes it did. This completely puts you into panic mode and worse since I was unable to get home until later that evening.
Those same friends ended up bringing me over a bottle-fed calf to put on my cow (it is going okay but they haven’t completely bonded yet).
Despite what many think, cows do not let just any calf suck—it has to be their own.
Then that evening, the other heifer decided to calve and it looked like I was going to need a hand again, so once again the same friends came to my rescue (at least this time it was evening and not the middle of the night).
Unfortunately, we pulled a dead calf. The placenta delivered right with the calf but for some reason it became disconnected and died. But dead is dead, and it was more frustrating to have the calf the day before drop dead.
So I’m still battling the scour problem and I am getting less sleep now than when I was really calving. I haven’t had an extreme problem like this, so I am stressing and worrying about it.
In a normal year, if I had a calf that was hard to catch, I wouldn’t even worry about it. But this year it has made me more nervous.
I’m hoping the vet will be able to test to see what is going on, and then we either can change treatment or prevent it in the future.
So sometimes farming is just the “s” word.
• • •
The girls had a great March Break in Las Vegas and have lots of stories to tell us. They had jammed-packed days seeing all kinds of neat things.
I was lucky to have lots of company over the March Break. In fact, it almost felt like Christmas again with the company I had—and the weather was similar, too.
• • •
Please attend the general meeting the Rainy River Regional Abattoir is hosting next Wednesday (March 26) at 7:30 p.m. at the Barwick Hall.
We need to see as many people as possible out!